• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

1970's PUBS GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

H Will i do stand corrected on that you are quite correct what i was thinking it was a blue lamp outside but yes it was the lamplighter and cos of the police station across the road i recon that they put a blue shade on it but the lettering wasb white thanks for correcting me on that

Did you ever use The Stag ?

will ask my sister if she knows but having said that i would have thought it sensible to empty the gambling machines of any pub after closing:rolleyes:

will ask my sister if she knows but having said that i would have thought it sensible to empty the gambling machines of any pub after closing:rolleyes:

I've been in pubs when the machines have been emptied , The Stag had a reputation though because of the clientele, even though half of the CID from the cop station used the smoke room

Hi Aston6 there was the paddock on the precint across from the elbow room

Hi Astonian,

If I remember right wasn't that one of two pubs that were next to each other? The other one I think was called The Griffin, a mate of mine Mayfield / Acka (also a BHF member), his dad used to work in one of them as a barman but, I'm not sure which one it was.

Do you remember The Lamplighter near the junction of New John Street West?

Lozellian

I remember the Lamplighter pub and I saw it being built as I was on my way going past on the 5 or 7 bus into town from Aston.

I went in once or twice just after it opened and it and it was friendly, nice and new. birmingham_b19_lamplighter.jpg

hi will yes i did way way back i am trying to think of the gaffer at the time he eventualy left and took over the cotteridge clubhis mrs smoked little cigars a tall attratitive woman it was down between the shops at cotteridge i think right now it was a guy called brian and i am just thinking of there surname or was it the kings norton social club it was more or less facing the old labour club at cotteridge he done some time and then he bought an hotel on the hagley road not far from the ki

Hi LOZELLIAN
Thank you for reminding me of the griffin thats the other pub along side of the paddock as you correctly said at the time i just could not recall the name of it at the time of nameing the paddock yes i recall mayfield from the BHF
Also its been years now just of late i have had afew of our older members emailing me after all these years
I wasjust wondering whether or not can you or any other member recall two more pubs up there abit by the six ways island on lozeells road the called the Oaktree but more to less a davenports pub they built across the road when they built the new estate probaly in the over the back end of old Alma street i am racking my brains out on this one hope you have a nice day despite the heavvy rain we are getting at least here in worc the heavens have openend up

Hi LOZELLIAN
Thank you for reminding me of the griffin thats the other pub along side of the paddock as you correctly said at the time i just could not recall the name of it at the time of nameing the paddock yes i recall mayfield from the BHF
Also its been years now just of late i have had afew of our older members emailing me after all these years
I wasjust wondering whether or not can you or any other member recall two more pubs up there abit by the six ways island on lozeells road the called the Oaktree but more to less a davenports pub they built across the road when they built the new estate probaly in the over the back end of old Alma street i am racking my brains out on this one hope you have a nice day despite the heavvy rain we are getting at least here in worc the heavens have openend up

It wasn't The Cromwell by any chance

It wasn't The Cromwell by any chance

The Royal Oak was up by the island, on the other side of the island there was another pub a couple of doors down from the bank on the corner on the main drag the name escapes me at the moment, we hadn't long been married I was supposed to be painting the internal frames of the windows in this first floor flat we had in Witton Rd . I felt like a pint so I went up for one, McKewans bitter they sold any way after about four went home, got up on the chair to carry on then the room started spinning . Needless to say the Mrs wasn't very happy when she got back from her mom's later on

Was this the place it was more of a bar than a pub.

View attachment 128526

No Phil the exterior was of a greyish type brick, it was all at ground floor level. As that area was being rebuilt Phil, imagine if you're walking from Baskerville House toward Suffolk St after about 50/60yds there was a makeshift left turn that would take you under what was going to be the new library complex that was built late 60's early 70's well as you took this path fenced both sides it was on the left hand side . Stupid thing is I'd been in there quite a few times and can't remember what it used to be called . One member has said it was called the Grapevine

Hi LOZELLIAN

Hiya Astonian,

The only one I can think of at the moment is the Royal Oak, it had a very nice decorative stonework of an oak tree situated above the door in fact it can still be seen today. the pub was just opposite of where the tower blocks were built; about 100 yds away from what was Gower street School.

Lozellian.

Hi LOZELLIAN

Hello again Astonian,

I'm not entirely sure but, the Davenports pub you're referring to I think was called something like The Gun Barrells / The Gun Makers Arms? Was it near to Porchester Street / Alma Street? If so it used to be run by a ex Policeman, whose name I think was Jim, he was a big lad around 6' 2" ginger haired / full beard, I recall him being a strict but, fair landlord.

How ironic is this, I've just had a phone call from an old friend and we were talking about some of the old Newtown local pubs we used to hang around in (The Lord Byron, The White House, The Man O'War etc and it turns out that the Pub in question was in fact called "The Cross Guns", which was in Rodway Close, Newtown.

Lozellian.

Last edited:
Hi Astonb6,

Speaking of the Cabin, I always remember a young blonde haired barmaid who worked there in the early 70's who used to wear hotpants at the time, I think her name was Carol.

Other local pubs I recall in the Newtown area of Brum: Brown Jug, The Pelican, The Woodman, The White House, The Lord Clifton, The Gunmakers Arms, White Horse Cellars (live jazz at the weekend) and no doubt many others I've missed.

Lozellian.
Do you refer to White House up towards Hockley fly over or the one near Summer Lane school ?

Albert

many times ....my sister was a barmaid there for a long time before moving with the landlord when he left the stag to take on the unity club new summer st

lyn
Lyn
We must have crossed paths... the Lamlighter... friends of mine were regulars ...O’connors , Roy Breeze both lived opposite

Stag , Peter Aldridge , Johnny O’Connor , Stan Evans , Banger ,

Good memories , I must have met your sister...

Keep well

Alber

Hello again Astonian,

I'm not entirely sure but, the Davenports pub you're referring to I think was called something like The Gun Barrells / The Gun Makers Arms? Was it near to Porchester Street / Alma Street? If so it used to be run by a ex Policeman, whose name I think was Jim, he was a big lad around 6' 2" ginger haired / full beard, I recall him being a strict but, fair landlord.

How ironic is this, I've just had a phone call from an old friend and we were talking about some of the old Newtown local pubs we used to hang around in (The Lord Byron, The White House, The Man O'War etc and it turns out that the Pub in question was in fact called "The Cross Guns", which was in Rodway Close, Newtown.

Lozellian.
I think long before Rodway Close ...the pub was on the corner of Frankfurt street , was a Dares house , I think this later became Devonports.
Lord Byron and Duke of Cambridge were my locals ...John and Jo had the Byron

Albert

Was it the Crown in Broad St. Run by Ronnie Wagstaff when I was at B’ham College of Food and Arts, Brasshouse Passage 1959/62

good question john but i dont know the answer hopefully someone will

lyn
It was called "The Grapes". I think there might have been another M&B pub of the same name on Broad Street on the right hand side heading out of town. I've been told that pub was the very first M&B pub.

Back