• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

1920's car

florna

knowlegable brummie
My Grandfather had this car in, I think, the early 1920's.
Can anyone tell me anything about it? Make, engine size, model etc Is it a Ford or an Austin?
Thanks for looking

Daveford car.jpg

I agree with Curly - it certainly looks like the Austin emblem on the radiator.

See that you are in Bromsgrove - the Vintage Austin Register have a rally at Avoncroft Museum every year, towards the end of June - they are a friendly lot - there were about 25/30 12s there this year, some beautifully restored, and some in what they call "oily rag" condition. Here's one of the former for sale on their website, for if you've £24,950 to spare to re-live your grandfather's days out.... https://www.vintage-austin.co.uk/CarAds/PMarchant.html .....and you really ought to have a read of the Gumdrop books (recently re-published) if you didn't read them in your youth.

Hi malvieian
Yes that's correct but haven't you got one coming up within this month coming august we are planning to come up to the males
And don't they I one for camping and Indian style wigwam homes and homestead ones as well
There is a lot of Redditch westereners whom have these old type log cabins on wheels we have a friend whom as a tepee whom takes part in this event
Possibly around the twenty of august but my son and myself attend the Avon one every years its my son whom is car mad
Best wishes astonian,,,

Had a look at the Avoncroft website - couldn't see anything upcoming about wigwams and tepees - there's an American Civil War thing on 20th September - not quite the same!

As to Austin 12s my friend Bob tells me that there are no major gatherings planned but the Austin Register do have lunchtime meetings at at the Fleur-de-Lys pub on the canal at Lowsonford, Warks on the 2nd Tuesday of the month - their website suggests contacting member Barry Davis - see https://www.vintage-austin.co.uk/maps/lowsonford.html - Barry will probably know how many 12s are expected in the pub car park and available for viewing on the day.

Had a look at the Avoncroft website - couldn't see anything upcoming about wigwams and tepees - there's an American Civil War thing on 20th September - not quite the same!

As to Austin 12s my friend Bob tells me that there are no major gatherings planned but the Austin Register do have lunchtime meetings at at the Fleur-de-Lys pub on the canal at Lowsonford, Warks on the 2nd Tuesday of the month - their website suggests contacting member Barry Davis - see https://www.vintage-austin.co.uk/maps/lowsonford.html - Barry will probably know how many 12s are expected in the pub car park and available for viewing on the day.

Thanks to all who replied. It certainly looks a great car!! If only I had £25000 spare.
I think my grandfather must have been well up the social scale for that type of car.
Dave

Lovely photo Dave and one to treasure. I have one of my Dad in his car, probably around the same time or maybe it could be the 1930's (I don't know) , and wondered what make it would be. Anyone know? By the way the picture was taken outside Soho Hall Hotel, now Soho House.

Judy
Dad at Soho 30s.jpg

Thanks Curly. Lovely to have more information on my Dad. The timescale of the car would fit in as well with the time the family moved to Soho in 1925. So the photo could date from 1927-1935 by reading the information you gave the link to.

Judy

Could one of the experts identify this car and and when it would have been made please?

Attachments

• guilford-st8.jpg
    guilford-st8.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 40
Cannot help with that, but H L Humphries(on next corner) ceased being a grocer there around 1932. He is listed there in 1932n Kellys, but it is a Mrs Walker in the 1933 edition

My Grandfather had this car in, I think, the early 1920's.
Can anyone tell me anything about it? Make, engine size, model etc Is it a Ford or an Austin?
Thanks for looking

Dave
View attachment 93128
Hi Dave, the car in the photo is a Austin 12/4 clifton tourer, dating to the mid to late 1920's, sadly I can't make out the registration number ,if I could I would try to trace it through the club, hope this helps,many thanks regards Ralph.

Back