• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

16 court dymoke street???

cearnegiant

master brummie
I have birth certificate grandfather 1897,Gives address 16 court Dymoke street Aston. Looking on census addresses no 16 court listed in Dymoke street. Anyone know what court means on address thankyou

Dymoke street Aston

Would there be maps for Dymoke street around 1800 to 1900s.Just posted another thread that cant really understand what means when address states court ie 16 court dymoke street.Would this be just 16 dymoke street, rather confused

Hi cearnegiant

This was a court in Dymoke Street, I'm sorry I don't know the court number other than it was at the back of no 82 Dymoke Street in 1905. I will say this much I know they did a lot of improvements in Highgate in around 1905 but this one looks rather posh compared to others in the area.

Phil

HighgateDymokeStr-o821905.jpg

Re: Dymoke street Aston

Hi cearnegiant

If you look at my photo on the other thread you will see what a back court was. It was a group or terrace of houses at the rear of the house that fronted the street. It was often accessed by way of a single tunnel entrance or (entry) between the street fronting houses. These courts were sometimes known by numbers or even a name or sometime just simply rear of the number of whatever the street fronting house was.

Phil

Below is a map of Dymoke st c 1914, I have marked the 6 houses in court 16. The two houses back of those on the street are included in the court. In some other cases they are listed separately as back houses.

mapcourt16dymokestc1913.jpg

View attachment 67288

I have posted a 1914 map showing the position of court 16 on the other thread. Phil's photo is very interesting. The court at the back of no 82 is listed as "back 82" on the 1920 electoral roll, and is betweeen Angelina St and emily St on the same side of the road as court 16. On the 1914 map you can see the circular railings in the centre of the yard marked as a circle. In the larger scale , earlier 1889 map it is marked as Mount Pleasant (another one !), but the yard is marked as individual plots in front of each house, a central path and with no circular central railings .
Mike

Those houses look empty, could that be because they had just been 'improved' and no one moved in yet?
Hi cearnegiant

This was a court in Dymoke Street, I'm sorry I don't know the court number other than it was at the back of no 82 Dymoke Street in 1905. I will say this much I know they did a lot of improvements in Highgate in around 1905 but this one looks rather posh compared to others in the area.

Phil

Those houses look empty, could that be because they had just been 'improved' and no one moved in yet?

Fashionz

Quite possibly, here is another photo of a local back court, this time Court 3 Darwin Street. This one is in the midst of reconstruction as it was called back then in 1905.

Phil

HighgateDarwinSt3Court1905brforereconstruction.jpg

Thankyou for map.looks like very close Emily street'? Grandfather born 16 Court Dymoke Street to single Mother in 1897,Unable find any records untill 1914 when he gets married from 5 Emily Place,Emily Street,Would you have map showing Emily Place? Thankyou for all your help

I am having simular problems. on the my grt grandmothers birth certificate it states 4 Court, Dymoke Street, Aston, Deritend, however on the 1911 Census it states 4 Court Stanhope Street. Is this one of the same address? Does anyone know how I can obtain a photo? Any help would be appreciated.

In 1911 Deritend became part of B,ham before that it was part of Aston Manor.Could they have move house it was quite common in those days to move round the corner.Dek

I would think they moved from Dymoke Street to Stanhope Street, The question I have is who was the Landlords at the time? People did seem to move often and within same area.There must have been large number of Landlords or was homes owned by factories,Change of job change of home?

just found a pic of dymoke st where it meets angelina st...will post it asap...

lyn

I think you are all right, they prob did move, it makes more logical sence. Would love to see the pic lyn

Back