• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

15th bn warwickshire regiment ww1

• Thread starter marion LEBOURNE
  • Start date
M

marion LEBOURNE

Great to join in. Just found out tha my gr grandfathers brother served in 15th bn royal warwickshire. He died 24th spt 1916. henry lebourn. does anyone have any information about th15th bn on the somme. many thanks
marion

Hi Marion,
I was so interested to see your message. My uncle was in the same regiment. He died on 4th June 1916 aged twenty. I have found the War Diary for that regiment very interesting but horrifying too.

Janet H

Hi does anyone know how i would be able to contact, the Royal WarwickshireRegement records,My Grandfather was a soldier in that Regement,he was a proffesional soldier,He lived in Station Road Witton and he was Samuel Wilkes.He died in 1947 ,aged about 78.any help please Bobby B

Name:LEBOURNE
Initials:H
Nationality:United Kingdom
Regiment/Service:Royal Warwickshire Regiment
Unit Text:15th Bn.
Date of Death:24/09/1916
Service No:18768
Additional information:Son of Henry and Olive Lebourne, of Hedge-end, Botley, Hants.
Casualty Type:Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference:XII. U. 4.Cemetery:GUARDS' CEMETERY, LESBOEUFS

His service number indicates that he was not an original volunteer to the 15th Warwicks. Further checking on 'Soldiers Died in the Great War' I found that he originally enlisted into a battalion of the Somerset Light Infantry, service number 24383. he probably did his training in the UK with them and then transferred to the Warwicks when sent to France. This happened quite a lot to replace the heavy casualties during the Battle of the Somme.
I am going to the Somme soon, I can try and get a photo of the grave for you, if you want.

Regards

Terry

Janet H

The 4 June, 1916, was a very sad day for the 15th Royal Warwicks (2nd B'ham Bn). They were in trenches near Roclincourt and after a very heavy bombardment the Germans exploded three mines adjacent to the trenches held by the 15th RWR. The one mine exploded under a section of trench held by B Company. During all the chaos the Germans sent over a very large raiding party of approx 500 men. However, the destruction of the trenches was so severe that they could only manage a few prisoners and a couple of machine-guns.
What was the name of your relative? I can give you more info.

Regards

Terry

Bobby B

Have you any more info regarding Samuel Wilkes... medals with number on, or did he have a middle name etc.

Terry

Back