• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

157/161 St lukes Road Edgbaston

Tiny

master brummie
hi all
I'm looking for information as to a school in St Lukes Road Edgbaston I have a feeling that it is a paupers school or foundlings school.
I have found today that in 1881 census a Samuel Chance age 7 and a William Chance age 10 were inmates and I am reasonably convinced that they are family members on my mothers side. I know that the father Samuel Chance born in Bromsgrove died in the 1870s and that his wife married again but without her children. I am looking for information as to what the school was and where I can find any record that will enable me to trace them. I only hope that it was not one of the schools that sent the children to Canada or Australia. but then again it might be easier to trace as there is no record of census for either one after 1881.
I would be grateful for any info
Regards Tiny

Tiny
I think your fears might be correct. In 1882 Kellys there are two children's establishments in St Lukes Rd, the church school at the end (in red) and at no 157 the Children's emigration Homes (in green)

st_lukes_rd_c_1890_showing_parochial_school_and_emigration_home.jpg

That's great Mike. I remember seeing something about the Children's Emigration Homes in Edgbaston on the Connecting Histories site. Tiny, here's a link
https://www.search.connectinghistor...exhibition/standard/default.asp?resource=1311
Looks as though the Children's Emigration Home became a Middlemore School. According to this link the records are in the Birmingham Archives at the Main Library in Birmingham. The new library and archives won't be available until September 2013.

my thanks to Miejee and jennann, will now have to wait till library opens in sept. I am determind to get to the bottomof this thanks again.

Regards Tiny

There is a William Thomas Chance aged 10, and Samuel Chance aged 9, passengers on the "Parisian" sailing to Quebec bracketed under the name "Mr Middlemore" with about 60 other children over the age of 3. Sailed from Liverpool, England and date of arrival was 19 Jun 1881. Voyage lasted 30 days.

Listed in the Canadian 1891 Census there is a Samuel Chance aged 17 born England working as a farmhand in Usborne,Perth South,Ontario. Religion Methodist and both parents born England.
There is also a Thos William Chance aged 20 in 1891 born England working as a labourer in Essex South,Malden, Ontario.
Religion Church of England and both parents born England.
Whether this helps or clouds the issue I'm not sure!!!

Thank you Ladylinda. it has been a great help i have something more to go on now.I owe you a drink on the 27th July.
regards Tiny

went to St Lukes road this morning on the way to work I dont know if it is with the knowledge of what went on there but the building gave me the shivers. Will be getting up early so I can go back in the mornig on the way to work and will take some photo's of the place. I cant think of what their thoughts were as they left the school and made the jurney to liverpool and then on to Canada. Was this trafficing in children a very profitable means of income for the school and governers as I cant think the did it out of the goodness of thier hearts at thier own expence.

regards Tiny

Tiny
Am not sure about these homes, but in the last part of the 19th century the idea of emigration to Canada seems to have been pushed particularly by a Miss Rye. The idea seems to have been considered by the boards of guardians of many workhouses as a way to reduce the costs of the workhouse by sending the children to Canada, though there were some reports that the children were not always treated well over there. The first snippet below comments that it would be better to send them than incur the expense of new buildings! The second one shows that the government wanted the children to receive reasonable treatment, but some, in this case Mr Smith , just cared that this "red tape" inhibited the process and to hell with the conditions they found there . I think our George Osborne would have got on well with Mr Smith

Report_of_Kings_norton_guardians_B_Post_24_5_1883.jpg

Parliamentary_report_B__Post_16_7_1891.jpg

thanks Mikejee. it seems to me that these children were a problem for them and it seems that to get them out of the country served two purposes one was to hide the seriouse overcrowding and a drain on local authorities. the other was a under the counter money maker. what is in my mind criminal is the fact that children were ripped from their parents and shipped out of the country as fast as possible without any thought for the children or the parents. Victorians and their high morals. slavery was not really abolished till the 1940s was it.
Regards Tiny

Hi Tiny,
Were their parents Samuel Stephen Chance, Ellen Jane Tanity?
If so I will take a longer look tomorrow.

Clarkie

In 1881, before marrying Alfred Eades in 1886, Ellen was living with the Randall family at 12, Sandy Lane, Aston, and had a daughter, Lily, aged 10 months. There is a family tree on Ancestry (Reardon) with her details on.

Hi Tiny,
Maybe not such a unhappy ending after all.

Parents: Samuel Stephen Chance, born Bromsgrove 1848, died Aston 1877.
Married Ellen Jane Tanity, Birmingham 1870. (Ellen 1852-1922 No trace of her birth but I think the surname is maybe wrong)

His father was also Samuel, he was a Nailor and they lived in Blackmore, Bromsgrove.

1871 family at Great Hampton St. William a Brewer

William Chance Birth: 1870 - Warwickshire, England

Samuel Chance Birth 1873 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Death Mar 1952 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England

In 1881 William & Samuel, inmates St Lukes Rd. Ellen J Chance, a screw maker is a Boarder, she has a daughter Lily 10 months old. Married 1886 Alfred Eades

1891 – Worcester St. Bromsgrove.
William 18, Samuel 16, noted as stepsons with Edward Peplow 66
There is also Eliza 13. Noted as Peplow on transcript & Chance on original?

I could go further if you wish.

Regards

Clarkie

Mother and father correct a william and a samuel chance in 1881 listed as in 157 161 st lukes road. Lady linda found samuel and william sailing on the Parisian for Quebec in 1881. but would greateful for any info you can find. Regards Tiny

Clarkie. just checked through census records Samuel and William stepsons to Edward peplow were born in Bromsgrove father Benjamin Chance.
the sons of Samuel and Ellen were both born in Birmingham. it was Samuel Stephen Chance died in Q1 1877 in Aston Volume 6d page 167
Regards Tiny

thanks Ladylinda, it looks like our ella was a naughty girl as lilly was born 3 - 4 years after Samuel Died. but can not find her any time before 1861. ( I have looked at the family tree of the Reardon tree and it looks as though they are just taking history and photoe's from my tree but but a lot of their info doea not match mine as most of my info comes from an old family Bible if they were to contact me I would be happy to help them.
In 1881, before marrying Alfred Eades in 1886, Ellen was living with the Randall family at 12, Sandy Lane, Aston, and had a daughter, Lily, aged 10 months. There is a family tree on Ancestry (Reardon) with her details on.

The school at the end of the was Hope st., School. The one in the middle was "BHS" Birmingham Hebrew School.

Hi Tiny,
Maybe not such a unhappy ending after all.

Parents: Samuel Stephen Chance, born Bromsgrove 1848, died Aston 1877.
Married Ellen Jane Tanity, Birmingham 1870. (Ellen 1852-1922 No trace of her birth but I think the surname is maybe wrong)

His father was also Samuel, he was a Nailor and they lived in Blackmore, Bromsgrove.

1871 family at Great Hampton St. William a Brewer

William Chance Birth: 1870 - Warwickshire, England

Samuel Chance Birth 1873 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Death Mar 1952 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England

In 1881 William & Samuel, inmates St Lukes Rd. Ellen J Chance, a screw maker is a Boarder, she has a daughter Lily 10 months old. Married 1886 Alfred Eades

1891 – Worcester St. Bromsgrove.
William 18, Samuel 16, noted as stepsons with Edward Peplow 66
There is also Eliza 13. Noted as Peplow on transcript & Chance on original?

I could go further if you wish.

Regards

Clarkie
Not Ellen Jane TANITY but Ellen Jane TAINTY. Her birth was registered during June Quarter 1852 - Aston Registration District - Volume 6d - Page 218 (volume and page are those of the General Register Office for England and Wales (GRO). Aston Registration District abolished 1924 and now a part of Birmingham Registration District. Maiden surname of mother given to have been TAYLOR. Had a brother named Alfred, born 1847. A Samuel Tainty married with a Jane Cope (widow, daughter of Charles TAYLOR) at Saint Martin's Church, Birmingham, 18th August 1839. Witnesses were Edwin Tainty and Emma Baron[sic]. Edwin Tainty married with Emma Barron at Harborne, Staffordshire, 28th June 1840 (Harborne parish was at that time within Kings Norton Registration District

Back