• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

14 bus to city centre.1987

Hi Winston I did the journey via youtube last week it was so strange as it was hard to remember the route even though I used to travel it everyday to work.

The last time I went on the 14 Bus it went down the Yardley Wood Rd and Stratford Rd into town. With Ginger the conductor swinging round the pole going up Hill St.

So few cars along Alum Rock Road! Great to see those old pubs again, isn't the Brookhill the only one still open along that route from Tile Cross to Saltley Gate?

The last time I went on the 14 Bus it went down the Yardley Wood Rd and Stratford Rd into town. With Ginger the conductor swinging round the pole going up Hill St.

Mike have you got the right number bus the 14 has always gone down through Nechells and up Alum Rock to Lea hall a long as i can remember that 60 years back . Dek

Thanks for that Winston nice to see all the old pubs still standing I still live in the old days when giving directions to people to go to a certain pub sad to say a lot of them have disappeared I still refer to the Manor at Stetchford by it,s original name The Bulls Head. but i think i may be a few years older than you. Dek

So few cars along Alum Rock Road! Great to see those old pubs again, isn't the Brookhill the only one still open along that route from Tile Cross to Saltley Gate?

I think the Village Tavern is still open ( well it was 5 or 6 months ago) Corner of George Arthur Rd / Alum Rock Rd. Then after that you have The Sportsman (By Nechells Place) and then, I am not sure about this one, Sacks of potatoes ? Is it still going?

Terry

Last edited:
Goodness me that takes me back a bit. The last time on the 14 was driving the route in 1977. I then moved to the "red" at Tamworth.

Worked on the 14 route in the 60s alongside some real characters Albert Haylings, Pat Brennan , Percy Rodway, George Sewell, to name but a few.

Bloody hell now i do feel old...Albert Haylings & Percy Rodway great characters..worked with them for many years @ LH r.i.p

Back