• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

100 Faces of WW1 tribute go online

smtr

master brummie
Hi

The following is a link to the above made available by the Imperial War Museum. They will be releasing more between now and August 2014 the 100th Anniversary.

The collection of photographs named ‘Faces of the First World War’ shows fallen servicemen and has been released online as a tribute ahead of the First World War Centenary in 2014.

Suzanne

Wendy

It's absolutely fantastic:) So great as well that they will be adding more. These men deserved to be remembered and hopefully more can be added to the records of the men that so little is known about.

Suzanne

Thank you for posting that interesting link Susanna.

Its very hard to believe that sixteen million people lost their lives during WW1 and many more that we dont know about were physically injured or were ill from the gas used at that time and many more were mentally scared for life.

Its amazing what information can be found in our archives and repositories around the country. This project will memorialise forever many of the soldiers photographs and life stories and are such a fitting tribute to those who made the ultimate sacrifice to secure all our futures. Such a tribute may also help some of the soldiers families who may not even know about the photographs.

Anyone who is able to research a soldiers life and add it to his potograph is asked to help with the project and suggestions of where you can look for information are listed.

https://www.1914.org/faces/

Louisa

I would love to know if my Uncle 11071 Pte Joseph Goldsbury 1st South Staffordshire would be recorded but I don't think a photograph of him exists.

Hi GER22VAN

You can search the photo's by name but nothing there (at the moment). Keep on looking as you never know:)

Suzanne

Suzanne
I would like to add my thanks for posting this link. I will be watching with interest to see if any Birmingham lads turn up.

Tony

Hi and thanks Tony

It's a very exciting project isn't it? Watch out for more pictures posted each weekday up to Aug 2014. Even if we think we may never get a photo of one of our relatives there's always hope as it says some family sent in what may have been their only picture of their relative.

Suzanne

must say very interesting, I read every one brings some reality to the history, well done smtr, dos't seem to be much in the way of interesting topics these days on the forum, quite a shame really.
paul

Hi Paul

Yes I've been through every one of them too. Very thought provoking. I'm getting ready for number 101 which hopefully will be posted tomorrow according to the IWM.

Suzanne

A very interesting project. I am sure this forum could do something in a similar vein, leading up to the 100th Anniversary, with Birmingham service men who lost their lives in WW1.

I would be willing to help

Terry

I'm glad to say that although my relatives served in both wars, they all came back, many were not so lucky, following the suggestion by Terry Carter lets start our own "100 Faces of WW1" tribute to these men (and women) who were killed in WW1.
Please use this thread to post images only, and supply a little background information regarding the person.

BIRMINGHAM ROLL OF HONOUR WW1

Colin

Back