• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1 Ford Raglan Yard, Thorp Street

Dave_G

proper brummie kid
I have my great-grandparents (Frank William Goulden & Fanny Thompson) wedding certificate (1901). It states on the certificate that they both lived at 1 Ford Raglan Yard, Thorp Street, Birmingham, i think it might be just 1 Thorp St, Ford Raglan Yard?

I've tried searching high and low, even asked Carl Chinn, but cannot find any name for this yard or find an OS map for it?

Would anybody on here know about this yard at Thorp Street?

Cheers

David

David
I assume the writing is difficult to read on the certificate. what It should read is Lord Nelson Yard. this was a court behind the Lord Nelson pub. I can only find it called "back 42", or "court 16", but presumably it was also called Lord Nelson Yard, for obvious reasons. Confirmation is that the 1901 census lists Fanny Thompson (but not Frank Goulden) listed as a boarder with John Tilsley at 1 back 42 Thorpe St. On the c 1889 map the Lord Nelson is in red, and 1 back 42 would presumably be the building in green.

map_c_1889_showing_Lord_Nelson_pub_thorpe_st.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, thanks Mike for the map! I don't get why it says Ford Raglan Yard on the certificate though, i'll have to scan it and upload it to this thread and see what you think?

My Grandmother was born at the Lord Nelson 41 Thorp St. in 1900. My ancestor Thomas Pressdee ran it before that. I've never heard it called Lord Nelson Yard, I always wondered what the Lord Nelson and that space behind it looked like but there aren't any pictures apparently. I would like to see the certificate too!
Thank you for this Mike and Dave.
rosie.

Presumably it was a miss-hearing between the person registering the marriage and the registrar.

I would have read that as the Lord Raglan. The first letter definitely looks like an old style L. Can't explain the Raglan except that the person registering it got mixed up. there was the Lord Nelson at 41, and originally the Criterion on the corner with Hurst St was called the Lord Rodney. not very convincing, but can't think of any other reason. There was a Lord Raglan at one time in Dartmouth St, but that is some distance away

Agree, it definitely looks like "Lord Raglan". He was commander of British troops during the Crimea War, mid-1850s. Dave.

LOT'S of roads and places in Birmingham named after "Lord Raglan", I lived at 5/2 Raglan Road, Edgbaston, (off the Pershore Road)1948 to 52. Paul

Back