• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. RobT

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

I have this one as Kings Heath 1889
  2. RobT

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

This one says 1880's
  3. RobT

What happened to Ernest Dryche Photography Birmingham?

The Birmingham Post 10th February 1979
  4. RobT

What happened to Ernest Dryche Photography Birmingham?

Ernest Dyche died in 1973, Ernest Malcolm Dyche died in 1990, I am Malcolm's step-son. In 1990 I gave most of the photos still at the studio to the Birmingham Libraries (including I think about 10,000 of glass negatives). Many of the very early full plate glass negatives were sold many years...
  5. RobT

Pubs Of The Past

A Compulsory Purchase Order in 1970-71 meant that the building became the property of the Corporation of Birmingham, and the work of the Burlington Hall Management Committee was taken over by the City Education Department who also became responsible for the management and finances of the new...
  6. RobT

Photographer RW Thrupp

There's a lot of RW Thrupp's photos earliest is September 1863 here https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/person/mp59069/robert-white-thrupp
  7. RobT

Commercial vans.

This was Pinnock's in Belgrave Rd/77-79 Longmoor Rd Balsall Heath in October 1968 from Alton Douglas Book Birmingham Shops
  8. RobT

Kardomah

Thought it was on Needless Alley not Cannon St
  9. RobT

Kardomah

Kardomah in New St was number 42A in 1955, it was two doors away from Austin Reed. It was also at the end of Needless Alley
  10. RobT

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Steve, Already sent it reversed https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-birmingham-photos-from-stevebhx.52814/page-161#post-785039
  11. RobT

STONEs of Balsall Heath

According to Kelly's 1915 (taken in 1914) there was a Mrs Nellie Stone living at 27 Vincent Street
  12. RobT

Kardomah

Can't see photo on here, here's one taken in 1955
  13. RobT

Lamp Tavern Handsworth

Couple of additions
  14. RobT

Rotunda was completed in 1965 This is a photo from 1963 from B'ham Post & Mail 1964 I believe
  15. RobT

First pic attached shows Rotunda 2nd June 1962 Second pic undated
  16. RobT

Picture re-touch

I try from me Merry Christmas
  17. RobT

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Tustins are a well-known family business in Acocks Green. They first appear in the directories right at the end of the nineteenth century as J.C. Tustin, grocer, at West End House. Mrs Tustin is listed at Clarendon House nearby in 1900, and in 1905 John Charles is living at Moreton Villa next to...
  18. RobT

Lees

Mikejee wrote that 12 years ago :) https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/george-houghton-sons-musical-instrument-makers-1888-1962.32054/#post-327740
  19. RobT

Lees

This is the trade mark (GH&S) of one of his Banjos from the 1920s., there are at least half a dozen for sale on Ebay UK.
Back