• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Don Clive

St Mary's church Aston

Hi Dave, belated 'Happy Birthday'!! Maureen was 70 last October, so some of your classmates are still around.....Pauline, do you remember my younger sister Maureen Hazel as she was then, I can assume the photograph Dave posted was of his classmates at school including Mr Tunniclife the...
  2. Don Clive

St Mary's church Aston

Re: St Mary's church Aston/Aston Brook St/Hubert St/Chester Street etc; Hi to Dave in South Africa, not contacted for a while, also welcome to Pauline. I was born & bred in Aston Brook Street, circa 1932 at No 29, next door to 'Mrs Londons' shop! our family doctor at the top of the street was...
  3. Don Clive

St Mary's Cof E School, Avenue Rd, Aston

Hi Christine, I'm Don Clive.....Born & bred in Aston Brook Street (the 'lower' half....No29) attended St Mary's....1936 -1946 now live in Tamworth, aged 81! Can I be of help??? Don.
  4. Don Clive

Spring Lane Erdington

I don't think your parent's had neccessary 'fallen on hard times', the war had only been over for a couple of years and with the number of houses demolished in the bombing (Birmingham was 'hit' far more seriously than the press of the day were allowed to tell!) and the forces being demobbed...
  5. Don Clive

Spring Lane Erdington

Re: The Spring Lane wooden huts, yes they were erected by the army and used by the army personel who manned the 'ack-ack' guns in north Birmingham, I started work at Kenders Hardware Store, the corner of Holly Lane and Kingsbury Road in 1947 and my employer, Mr Frank Saye, lived at 47 Spring...
  6. Don Clive

Rudders and Payne fire

Pauline, the Rudders & Paynes timber yard fire was on their site that occupied the corner of Hubert Street and Chester Street, it was obviously a very fierce fire being a timber yard and took some getting under control, their main premises wre on the opposite side of Chester Street, backing on...
  7. Don Clive

St Mary's church Aston

The names of the two Vicars you mentioned 'strike a bell', Father Henley did succeed Fr Hobson and now you have mentioned his name, fr Fowlds, although I never met him is or was reputed to have been responsible for the Churches closure, in spite of there being a well signed petition against it...
  8. Don Clive

St Mary's church Aston

Pauline, Was the photographer "Purcell and Betts" ?, their shop was on Aston Road, just the other side of Avenue Road, on the same side as the Church. They were more or less the regular photograhers of weddings at St Mary's. I see you still live in Aston, I was 'born and bred' in the 'bottom...
  9. Don Clive

St Mary's church Aston

'Big Gee', As I've stated earlier in this thread, I was a choirboy at St Marys, Aston Brook from 1940 to 1954, the Vicars during that time were the Rev Rhys and the Rev Hobson, who enjoyed the nickname of 'Hobbie', prior to him arriving from St Georges churh Wolverhampton in about 1943, (my...
  10. Don Clive

Birmingham in 1950s

To true, Alf, I did my National Service 50 / 52, got married 53, son arrived 54, took out mortgage 55, daughter arrived 56, had a great time for the rest of the decade.
  11. Don Clive

Sheep st, Gem st and Buck st.

Thank you for your comments 'Fashionz', the story I told was of about 70 years ago, my older sister has similar recollections, I believe the clinic suffered damage during the war so things may have altered. Don Clive
  12. Don Clive

Sheep st, Gem st and Buck st.

Ithink I've mentioned my memories of Sheep Street on the Forum before, not very happy one's, for when the nurse came to check you out at the school I attended (St Mary's, Aston Brook) if the following week you were given a sheet of paper to take home with a perforated line across the middle, and...
  13. Don Clive

Don clive...lock keeper

Dave, your photo shows the very old towpath bridge over the entrance to what was Samuel Barlows Coal Wharf, the transport yard there is situated on the site of the old wharf. the width of the 'Bridge Hole' is about six inches wider that the narrow boats were, and to make the turn easier there...
  14. Don Clive

old evening mail pics.....

My future wife's uncle got married in 1951 at the old Registry Office in the city centre, he lived in Phillips Street, Newtown and with other relatives and friends we caught the No 6 tram to Martineau Street. We had reached Paradise Street when he realised it was 2.30 he was getting married, not...
  15. Don Clive

Astoness ( lyn )

Lyn, At this sad time our thoughts are with you and your family, Don and Joan.
  16. Don Clive

old evening mail pics.....

Lyn, any old 'Dunlopians' like me will remember the races at Bromford, when the races were held, no end of people found an excuse to be on the second or third floors of 'Base Stores', that the large Building alongside the M6, thats still standing, you managed to get an excellent view of the...
  17. Don Clive

Aston Variety & Artists Club

Hi Louise, sorry my wife doesn't remember your grandfather or his partner, she really only used 'the club' as a meeting place for girls from the dancing Acadamy (in Acocks Green) who lived in Aston & Lozells area for meeting up. Don Clive
  18. Don Clive

Aston Variety & Artists Club

Years ago, before we got married (in1953) my wife used to be a member of this organisation, it was a form of 'Social Club', or a 'Working Men/Women's Club' for professional and semi professional theatre artistes, and the advert is describing an evening where 'W.M' club secretarys, or the person...
  19. Don Clive

Hockley Abbey

Good Morning Wendy, Have you had a laugh re the 'jug', I've found another use for it. Don
  20. Don Clive

Hockley Abbey

Lyn, J.Rabone & Sons - Hockley Abbey Works - Whitmore St. - Hockley. They amalgamated with Chestermans of Sheffield in 1984 to form 'Rabone - Chesterman', now part of 'Dial Engineering' with 'Stanley Tools', another well known tool supplier. They still use the'Three Triangles' of Hockley...
Back