• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Vee Dub 71

Pardoe Family - Ward End Birmingham

Hi, I've not been on here for a while. If you recall, we are related as my grandfather was one of the 15 children. It's interesting what you say about the buses. My Dad, remembers all of the family going on holiday in buses and also train carriages that Herbert had converted, possibly a joint...
  2. Vee Dub 71

Birmingham boxers?

My second cousin, Reg Steele trained Pat when he was an amatuer boxer. He used to run the Pheasant Boxing club. Reg was himself a boxing champion. My Grandad was Tommy Pardoe's elder brother. He was the 'second' during Tommy's fights.
  3. Vee Dub 71

Rocky Lane bombings

Thanks again. Ever grateful for your help. Dad did say it was different back then to the island that is there now. It does sound like this is the house that was bombed flat. He said he remembers looking at the roof on the floor. This has to be the same house. I hope to have more to tell of...
  4. Vee Dub 71

Rocky Lane bombings

Thanks for this Postie. I have seen this in the book but it is appreciated all the same. Would love to have seen a photo of the Benny Lynch fight. My Granddad and an elderly uncle would always talk of the fights Tommy had and his fearless nature in the ring.
  5. Vee Dub 71

Rocky Lane bombings

Thanks again Astonian, I'll get my dad to describe in more detail when I see him the weekend. To be honest we are grateful for you piecing the jigsaw together. My Dad was too young to remember much about the property other than it being demolished and...
  6. Vee Dub 71

Rocky Lane bombings

Thanks Carolina, I did live at Weoley Castle Road but left when I was aged 2 so obviously I know little about the area myself, apart from visiting my Grandparents and other relatives. I spoke to my Dad on the phone and wrote the school name from memory. Thanks...
  7. Vee Dub 71

Rocky Lane bombings

Thanks Postie for the interest and your information, I hadn't realised there where two Rocky Lanes. Just spoke to my Dad briefly on the phone and from memory he remembers a gasworks and a small island / roundabout and is sure it was in the Aston / Nechalls area. He was led to believe people...
  8. Vee Dub 71

Rocky Lane bombings

I've been browsing Google Earth and 'Staples Superstore' appears to be at number 1 Rocky Lane which was my Dads old address during wartime. I can see a tall clock on a roundabout if this is of help as to which end of the Rocky Lane number one is / was situated at. The other end of the lane...
  9. Vee Dub 71

Rocky Lane bombings

Hi Astonian, Please accept my apologies for my late reply, I've had a couple of days of feeling unwell and this is the first day at my computer. This information is fantastic, thank you for taking the time to write it. I'm seeing my Dad, this weekend and will find out more of...
  10. Vee Dub 71

Rocky Lane bombings

Hi Colin, Please accept my apologies for my late reply, I've had a couple of days of feeling unwell and this is the first day at my computer. I'm seeing my Dad, this weekend and will find out more of what he remembers. It could be that he presumed the neighbours where killed as he...
  11. Vee Dub 71

Rocky Lane bombings

Hi, I am hoping to find photo's of Rocky Lane shortly after it was bombed during the war. My Father lived at number 1 Rocky Lane. Luckily they had vsited a relative in Woeley Castle and stayed overnight. When they returned home the bext day, they where faced with a pile of rubble. Their home...
  12. Vee Dub 71

Hi Morturn, Thank you, the photo’s you have posted are very much appreciated and will be printed to give to my Dad. I have searched the internet looking for photo’s of Tommy’s fights, in the hope that they would show Fred in the corner, but as you know photo’s of this era are...
  13. Vee Dub 71

Hi, I’m new to the Forum but very interested in my family history. I realise this part of the forum is not current in terms of recent posts, but I hope to find old photographs of my family. If anyone has any old photographs of the Pardoe family, I would appreciate seeing them please...
  14. Vee Dub 71

Rocky lane cafe

Hi, I'm new to the Forum but what I've seen so far is very interesting. Does anyone, please have any photographs of the houses in Rocky lane that were bombed during WW2 ? During the war my family lived at number 1 Rocky Lane. My Grandfather was stationed on the south coast, his role...
Back