• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Sparkhill Boy

Moseley Grammar Secondary School

I am attending the re-union of pupils and staff of Moseley Modern on June 11th before the building is demolished sometime later. If there is anyone else from the forum attending I would be pleased to meet you at the same time. It may be more appropriate to pm me rather than occupy forum space.
  2. Sparkhill Boy

Glover St, Aston. (Boatmen)

I have acouple of distant relatives living in Glover St in 1881. I noticed that there seem to be a number of boatmen listed in that street. Is there a canal nearby to that location? I can't find Glover St on any of the old maps I have looked at. Neither can I find any pics. Can anyone help...
  3. Sparkhill Boy

Williams Street, Lozells

Looking for the location and perhaps photographs of William St, Lozells. I had two members of the family there in 1935ish at numbers 24 and 39.
  4. Sparkhill Boy

Electorall Rolls Search By Address And/or Name

In relation to electoral registers can they only be looked up by address or is it possible to look up by a persons name please. Thanks
  5. Sparkhill Boy

Acocks Green Bus Garage

I am given to understand that my dad, after being evacuated from Dunkirk and discharged due to illness worked at the above bus garage. Is there anyway to confirm this from staff records if they exist. His name was Victor Hood. 1911-1944.
  6. Sparkhill Boy

The Smethwick Telephone Newspaper.

Does anyone remember The Smethwick Telephone? My step dad used to work there as a compositor up until about 1955. He travelled by bus from Formans Rd Sparkhill daily, it must have been a hell of a journey in those days. I can remember going to a childrens Christmas party at the factory at some time.
  7. Sparkhill Boy

The Thor Hammer, Any knowledge of the family?

I am told that some past relatives of mine invented 'The Thor hammer'. It is a hammer made of hide that did not damage the item being beaten or struck. I understand that it was developed in Birmingham by the Stephens family and the business still exists. Would anyone know where this could be...
  8. Sparkhill Boy

Electoral roll look up 1935 if possible please.

I'm looking for the occupants of numbers 24 and 39 Williams St, Lozells during this period as I think they may have married each other. Thanks if it is possible. Sparkhill boy
  9. Sparkhill Boy

College Rd Junior & Senior School Sparkhill 1940-50

Was anyone in this school during 1940/50 who may remember my cousins Iris and Barbara Hood. They lived in Solihull Rd nearby. If anyone remembers them please get in touch. Sparkhill Boy.
  10. Sparkhill Boy

Marriage look up please.

Would it be possible for someone to look up the marriage of Joseph Tibbins to Phe(o)be. Her surname may possibly be Horton, around 1800 ish. Sorry to be vague. Thanks, Sparkhill Boy.
  11. Sparkhill Boy

Old Photographs of streets.

Please tell me where I can post a request for old photographs of MoorSt, Wood St, Cliveland St, Legge St, Fisher St and that area in general. Obviously before all was redeveloped. Thanks.
  12. Sparkhill Boy

Digby St/Rd Aston/

Does anyone know if there was a Digby St or Rd near Legge St before it was all pulled down?
  13. Sparkhill Boy

Tibbins Joseph Any Help Appreciated 1783ish-1844

Trying to find anything about the above, he had brothers Robert and Samuel and may have married a Pheobe (Phebe). He is believed to have been Christened in 1783. Not much to go on I'm afraid.
  14. Sparkhill Boy

College Arms Stratford Road

On the junction of Stratford road and Shaftsmoor Lane was or is a pub. Can anyone remind me of its name. Thanks.
  15. Sparkhill Boy

Slots Hole, Forehill, Alvechurch.

I have traced some ancesters to a Place called Slots Hole, Forehill, Alvechurch. If anyone knows where it is or was, please can you let me know,
  16. Sparkhill Boy

WW1 help please.

I'm trying to find the history of DAVID RICHARD WILLIAMS. When he joined up it was with the 1st Irish Life Guards. He has a variety of medals and allegedly either the George Cross or George Medal neither of which I can confirm, (the medal being missing). He also was awarded the O.B.E. and I have...
  17. Sparkhill Boy

Solihull Rd, Sparkhill, (off Formans Rd)

Does anyone remember the HOOD family that lived in Solihull Rd 50's-60's. Two girls, Barbara and Iris with their mother.
  18. Sparkhill Boy

Workhouse/Poorhouse, Nr Kingsbury?

Does anyone know of a workhouse or poorhouse that was situated near Kingsbury or Lichfield 1820's? Was there an institution that looked after orphans and/or the destitute known as Brook Houses or Brook Cottages near Kingsbury same time?
  19. Sparkhill Boy

Advice on listing names being researched.

Can anyone explain how the names I am researching can be added to any posts I make or any thread I join without having to type them in everytime. Many thanks.
  20. Sparkhill Boy

St Peter & St Pauls, Kingsbury.

Am researching my Gt Gt Grandfather William Hood Born 1811 in Hurley, Christened in Kingsbury same year. Would love to know if any records exist in the church pending a visit there.
Back