• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. M

Soho Hill

Looking at some of the Photographs reminds me of that area in Early 1960 through to 1970. First the Shops opposite the Roebuck Pub was a Ladies outfitter, and was derelict for many years, the women who owned it had a son who lived there for many years even when derelict. The shops on the top of...
  2. M

Soho Road Handsworth

Sadly no pictures of crescent was in touch with Tony Jennings up to about 20 years ago, in fact read his moms Meter when she moved out of New town to retirement home small world, next time speak to Jan will remember you to her with pleasure, sounds as if all good your end but probably with usual...
  3. M

Soho Road Handsworth

Yes that is correct it was the biggest pension scandal after the Mirror Group luckily for me I had not long started paying in to pension so when I was made redundant I was able to withdraw all my payments but some very dear friends lost so much and their retirement plans were trashed. I remember...
  4. M

Soho Road Handsworth

Potted History for me Apprentice Engineer local factory CW Cheney and Son ( mom worked there) Royal Navy Communicator MEB Slot Meter Emptier then MEB became Eon I became Metering Engineer and left in in 2013 House Husband since old Nationalised Industry Pension made me offer could not refuse...
  5. M

Soho Road Handsworth

You only asked if Paul or Michael no mention of Janet, here is one from memory bank last time I saw you was when you pulled up outside our house in South Road in a Mini ( car not skirt ) after having its suspension pumped, do you recall that?
  6. M

Soho Road Handsworth

This is Paul brother of Michael who is this ?
  7. M

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Yes thanks for correction on the Sarah Club, and I knew that it was Bloomers or Knickers at Yardley, just could not remember which way round, thanks for clarifying, and yes the RAF club became Rafters not sure what if anything it is today.
  8. M

My late Father in Law, John Goodall was a regular there despite been a 'Pongo' ( soldier ), he was also at one time manager of Wineways on the Soho Rd, another regular was the Vicar Father Price, of St Michaels church, he became Cannon Price on his retirement, and lived in Brosil Ave, Handswoth Wood
  9. M

The name Ridgeway Georgian also rings a bell but I think it was Knickers before or became The Ridgeway Georgian after, but would not swear to in a Court of law as time erases but definatlty was Knickers at some stage, just to confuse matters next door to the RAF club used to be home to a club...
  10. M

Kalamazoo

Have a Cousin Anne or Ann Fry she worked at Kalamazoo in the 1970/1980 she married Ian who also worked at kalamazoo alas do not no surname, anyone know of her as we lost touch so long ago, not a falling out but a drift .
  11. M

Think was Nickers or was it Bloomers Corner Soho Hill and Park Ave adjacent to RAF Club
  12. M

Soho Road Handsworth

Hi Judy, indeed it is possible your paths crossed, my uncle I think lived at 134 South Rd or there about's, I think your Dads Friend would have been a Crowther as the Garage on South Rd was or went on to be called Crowther and Browns, and they moved to Lozells. A friend of my Uncles would have...
  13. M

Soho Road Handsworth

Thanks for reply, have worked in Nechells but know little about the place, also had used to swim at Mosley Road Baths, was used by a Dive club I was a member of and by the local Royal Navy Reserve HMS Forward, thank you once again for posting that photograph
  14. M

Soho Road Handsworth

Just Found this but question posted so long ago, the pub was called the Pump, the explosion was nothing to do with the IRA but the Landlord allowed a Hot Dog Van to park on his front and that caught fire and a Gas bottle exploded
  15. M

Soho Road Handsworth

Phil, thank you so much for replying and I had found a Photo of Alms Houses, in later life I worked on them to empty the Coin Meters for the MEB that the trust insisted all tenants had, then later working on and installing new meter systems, of course I am interested in YOU and what you remember...
  16. M

Soho Road Handsworth

Allan my Uncle was Hayden Fry, I to was at that School in 1962 until it closed in about 1968, we had a term at St Michaels Church Hall then moved to the New School on Piers Rd. The headmasters I remember were Mr Tilson and Mr Selwood, I have posted to Haydens Daughter hwho will no doubt love it...
  17. M

Soho Road Handsworth

Allan was looking for The Alms Houses next to the School and stumbled across your Team photo and The name of Hayden Fry caught my eye he was my Uncle, I never knew he went to that School, I was there my self from 1962 until it closed in about 1968, we had a term at St Michael's Church Hall until...
Back