• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. S

Anne Heywood (Violet Pretty) Book Project

Sorry, I made a typo, predictive text does this to me all the time. It's actually Knightwick Crescent ( which I know very well- see the back of Mum's photo too, so neither the typo above or Knightswick Crescent, but Knightwick Crescent singular.
  2. S

Anne Heywood (Violet Pretty) Book Project

Hello, my Mum Audrey neé Allcock lived at 140 Bleakhill Rd, with her parents Mary Ann ( nicknamed Polly) & Dad Albert Allcock, also her sister Beryl & brother Norman. Audrey ( my Mum was born in April 1928 so would have been 3yrs 8 months older than Violet). Mum talked about Violet Pretty who...
  3. S

Old buildings on newtown row

Yes I do. In the late 1950's and early 1960's my Mum used to walk myself and my baby sister ( in her pram)down there. We went to get my sister weighed at the clinic, also to have our vaccinations and polio sugar lump. I remember by the time I was about 6 I had a school friend Sandra Monk who...
  4. S

Restaurants In Birmingham 1960s

Yes, Mum used to go to the Christmas party always. She died last year aged 92, but she had worked for J.W.Hinks and co from about 1942. She left in 1958 ( to have me!) She worked for Joe Raybould who was the boss there. Long after she left they moved to the office in Edgbaston next door to...
  5. S

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Oh yes, that's right the Chang's had the Wing yip cash and carry too. I remember sometimes he said he had to nip round to the cash and carry, for Slowboat and other restaurants. I had seen the Wing yip supermarket and always thought as a child that the supermarket and the cash and carry were...
  6. S

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Oh yes, that's right the Chang's had the Wing yip cash and carry too. I remember sometimes he said he had to nip round to the cash and carry, for Slowboat and other restaurants. I had seen the Wing yip supermarket and always thought as a child that the supermarket and the cash and carry were...
  7. S

Yes, that would be the same one. It was 1969 -1976 that I was mostly involved with the family. I don't think I ate at any other than the Slowboat, they definitely regarded that as the biggest one. I seem to remember that one of the other two was in the elevated shopping area that crossed...
  8. S

I remember the Ceylon Tea house had clear glass cups, saucers and teapots, ( pyrex I suppose now , but seemed very grand at the time- wonderful to see the golden brown colour of the tea). The whole café was very modern, pine and open plan inside, on more than one level just slightly, I suppose a...
  9. S

I also remember Mum used to take my sister and I to the Ceylon Tea house after a long day shopping in town ( Birmingham). I remember being transfixed by the wonderful enlarged black and white photos of tea being picked. It gave me a lifelong desire to visit these areas, which I eventually did...
  10. S

Just reading through these memories with interest. Slow Boat in Digbeth opposite St.Martin's , together with Heaven's Bridge both Chinese restaurants were owned by my best friend's Dad. Dr. S.S. Chang. He and his wife had fled China at the time of cultural change, & come over to UK in the 1950's...
  11. S

Maternity Hospital Heathfield Road

I was born there in 1958 and my sister 1961. Mum has told us that Bourne House was where the expectant Mum's stayed until they went into labour. My Dad had visited her at Bourne House at teatime and gone round to each of the prospective grandparents to say nothing happening yet. Only to arrive...
  12. S

Howarth Brothers Herbal Beverages

If it's going free yes please! Regards Joy
  13. S

Yes! Thanks Rosie ! Just found one on auction site from 1941 when my Grandad was running it. Too late! Sold 3rd April 2012! If anyone out there bought it let me know !
  14. S

Howarth Brothers Herbal Beverages.. Albert Edward Allcock 1935- 29th July 1942 My Grandad Albert Edward Allcock ran this Botanical Brewery business "Howarth Brothers Herbal Beverages" in Crompton Rd, Nechells, Birmingham with his business partner Joe Hayes, the business was already long...
Back