• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. M

Toy/Model Shops City Centre

If I remember correctly, Hornton's had a model railway layout in their window that operated when a hand was placed on a sensor on the window. That was during the late '50's. I'm not sure how long this system was in operation..............................Mal
  2. M

Handsworth Park Victoria Park Handsworth

Same here. In my memory the entrance to the park was on the opposite side of the road to the baths. Lovely to see that picture and all the ones of the park. No Jayell, the picture is correct. The entrance to the baths was on the same side of Grove Lane as the park main entrance. Don't...
  3. M

NewSt Station 2015

Hi Paul, your memory's fading a bit there,New Street was always an 'open' station,meaning there was no charge to enter, as part of it was a public right of way............Mal
  4. M

Summer Lane

Hi Rupert, I certainly won't have a hard time realising about the back courts,I was there !................Mal
  5. M

Summer Lane

Of course,another reason it is not pre '39 is because of the waste land at the top of Theodore Street.It was of course a bomb-site,that was the only reason for clear land prior to the re-development of the '60's.There was many such sites in the Summer Lane and surrounding streets in the...
  6. M

Summer Lane

The reason I believe the photograph was taken in the '50's is because of the bus.It appears to be,judging by it's livery,a bus owned by Midland Red.It is a rear entrance bus,as far as I recall,all pre-war Midland Red double-deckers were FEDD's (front entrance double deckers).Not 100% sure on...
  7. M

Summer Lane

That picture is without doubt a photograph of the roads I previously stated.It is not pre '39,I would say it was mid to late '50's.The reason the police station cannot be seen is because it is set back from the lane by about 20 yards.It is therefore hidden by the row of houses to the left of the...
  8. M

Summer Lane

Hi Rupert, you're nearly correct with your answer,although the road to the right is Theodore Street.The road to the left is Bridge Street West.I used to live not 300 yards from there,to the left,just out of picture,would be Hughes Newsagents,and the famous...
  9. M

Summer Lane

Hi padgo, yes, you're quite right,everything that was sold in the shop.apart from bread,was made fresh daily at the shop.Apart from the meat pies,he also made and sold fruit pies,apple pies both large and small,jam tarts ,fruit teacakes and rock cakes.If anything was left from the day before,he...
  10. M

Summer Lane

Hi Goalzone, I remember going into Colin Baine's back yard and seeing the huge bowls of maggots.They used to sell them by the pint glassful in the shop.I don't think they would allow a maggot breeding shop next door to a baker's shop nowadays !..............Mal.
  11. M

Summer Lane

Hi padgo, only just noticed your post re. summer lane where you remembered several shops nearby.I used to live at the pie-shop,as my dad was the owner of the business.Baines the fishing tackle man was next door,he also used to charge up the accumalators used to power the early...
  12. M

Birmingham buses

I would guess these pictures were taken early-mid '60's,or possibly very late (1958-9) '50's.I say this by taking note of the cars in the pictures,one showa a Mini which wasn't produced until 1959.All the other cars are also of this era..........................Mal
  13. M

Birmingham buses

Thanks for that Lloyd,is there any particular reason the bonnet was painted blue,rather than the cream colour used on the other 'tin-front' buses?
  14. M

Birmingham buses

I s that bus a Daimler,as it looks somewhat unusual around the grille.And why is the bonnet painted blue?...................Mal.
  15. M

Hi ,referring to the Jim Davies retail unit I quoted above,on reflection it would have been nearer to 1990 when I made my last visit there,,,,,,,,Mal
  16. M

Hi bode, I remember Jim Davies Models,or 'Big Jim', as he used to be known amongst the model-making clan,very well.He was one of the first model shops to have a display team of what were for the time,about the mid '70's,a fleet of 'large' models powered by 'chain-saw' engines.His display team...
  17. M

Summer Lane

Hi Big Gee, the argument about Summer Lane being in Aston or Hockley was discussed earlier in the year,with many knowledgable people holding quite contrary views.All I will say is that I used to live in Summer Lane,near John Street West,and all I ever knew it as being in Aston,Birmingham 19...
  18. M

Summer Lane

Hi Dek,I remember that cycle shop very well,it was roughly opposite the garage that is still there.My dad bought me a bicycle from that shop,it was a Sun 'Vitesse',painted in a metallic light blue.I remember it plainly,a bicycle in those days (about 1956) was VERY special.I remember he used to...
  19. M

SUN Cycles

I remember getting a new bike in about 1956,for a Christmas present.It was a Sun 'Vitesse',a sporty looking bike with drop handlebars,finished in a light metallic blue colour.It was bought from a shop in Summer Lane opposite what is now Jacksons Garage.It was a garage then,but I don't recall the...
  20. M

DO YOU REMEMBER THE 40s?

I think Fabian was played by Robert Beatty..................Mal.
Back