• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Y

Kingstanding

I don't know about that but I am sure somebody will come along with a definite answer
  2. Y

Kingstanding

Indeed it was, I have a picture here taken from above the perry common estate in 1927 with perry common road and then hawthorn road going up on the left. There is a blue marker where the farmhouse is.
  3. Y

'Little' Boldmere

Thank you mike but as the bowling club was not formed until 1920 I think that BG stands for burial Ground as I once saw a reference to the bodies being moved to the Oscott college around 1914, If you do come across one from the 1920's it would be much appreciated
  4. Y

'Little' Boldmere

Hi Mike, do you have any old maps that show the sutton park pub on the corner of boldmere road and jockey road, I am after one from the 1920's that show their newly built bowling green and one from before if possible Thank in advance
  5. Y

Sutton Park Inn/hotel

Hi all, I was wondering if anybody has any idea when the bowling green was added to the pub on boldmere road. We were under the impression it was 1925ish but I have just noticed the first club championship on the trophy was 1921. We would love to organise some sort of centenary celebration but...
  6. Y

Metro Cammell Saltley

The social club was knocked down last week and I wonder if anybody got to save some of the pictures that hung there.
  7. Y

what was the name of the pub on thr wryley birch estate in 1995

I lived opposite the Chase pub for several years during the 90's in one of Birminghams finest maisonette blocks. It was a great time in my life but I didn't use the pub much as there seemed to be far to much trouble there.
  8. Y

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Another question (spry for being a pain) but what road is this looking down on and what is that large white house in the picture, and does it still stand?
  9. Y

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Thank you very much.
  10. Y

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Both of those locations above appear to have properties that pre-date the demolition. Sorry to be a pain but could one of those that attended give a precise location. The one map above puts it where the Yenton school now stands, could it be there?
  11. Y

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Where exactly was this orphanage? I am having trouble visualising where it maybe as houses that predate it's demolition stand in all the places I think of as suitable. Thanks
  12. Y

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

Re: the peaky blinders I have just watched it on the iplayer and I have to say I thought it was quite good as far as an entertaining TV program goes. Historical accuracy is a different matter though I didn't spot any glaring errors.
  13. Y

Henry Whitwell

There is a clifton road and horsely road by little aston but not clifton drive.
  14. Y

Engineering Sayings

When I started training as a toolsetter my boss said I have two rules 1= fetching the tea is your job 2 = don't put your fingers where you wouldn't put your cock. I don't fetch tea now but all my fingers are still in tact so quite good advice. lol
  15. Y

The retreat...aston

The second picture is one of sutton street? it looks like somewhere else to me I just can't think where, and that tower is familiar. Are we sure it is sutton street?
  16. Y

Tudor street

I sent the first four years of my life there moved in 1975/6ish I would loved pictures if somebody has any.
  17. Y

Kingstanding

Thanks Bren, any idea where the name originated?
  18. Y

Oscott Colleges (old Oscott And New Oscott)

I have spoken to my daughter who attended Cardinal Wiseman and she tells me there is a memorial garden to the side of the school where a bench was placed for a pupil that died. She also said that talk at the school (and some of it was from history lessons) was that it was a buriel ground and the...
  19. Y

Kingstanding

My house was on the next alley to this picture. It is strange how the locals have one name and the council officials have another. I am/was originally from pipe hayes so tending to use the more official name more.
  20. Y

Kingstanding

Good morning Astoness, the entrance shown on the pic is where I got the kingstanding beacon from as it is in the iron works above that entrance. Maybe the council had a go at changing what it is called for some reason or maybe they didn't want to comission signs sayin pimple lol.
Back