• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Henry Whitwell

rogue

I have a reference (from 1917) to an address: 16 Clifton Drive, Horseley Street, Aston. I cannot find this on any modern street guide to Birmingham. Can anyone out there guide me to an appropriate archive. Many thanks.

No luck I'm afraid . There is a Clfton Drive (North &south) in ASHTON Lancs, but no horseley ST. There is Horseley Road Tipton (could bad writing make TIP into ASH).

I have a reference (from 1917) to an address: 16 Clifton Drive, Horseley Street, Aston. I cannot find this on any modern street guide to Birmingham. Can anyone out there guide me to an appropriate archive. Many thanks.

ive not heard of that address in aston either...

lyn

I had a quick look at Findmypast 1911 for the address but no luck there either? (Might be just the way I searched?)
rosie.

No rosie, i do not think it was the way you searched. Niether Clifton Drive of horsely St is listed in the 1913 or 1917 kellys, which should certainly list the street, even if the Drive was just a minor offshoot of it.

I have found this on the midlands history electoral registers5, Clifton grove, Allesley street in St Mays this sounds close . any help ?

john's supposition seems quite likely to me. if so clifton Grove is the red terrace in the map below

map_c_1913_allesley_st__clifton_grove.jpg

Looks like the census enumerator has just written down what he thought he heard, Allesley Street could sound like Horseley St in a Brummie accent.

Phil
If it was an enumerator he would deserve to be strung up for that, but Rogue said it was from 1917, so it cannot be from a census. Possibly from a letter sent to home from the front

If there has been a mistake and it is Allesely Street, it may help you to know that in 1911 the property 16 Clifton Grove was occupied by
John Hardware and his wife Clara nee Crump and their son 17 year old Frederick.

Last edited:
whitwell19463.jpgMany thanks to all Forum Members who replied to my (at first) rather vague post. I enclose all the information I have regarding this address. I must say that 'Allesley' Street, Aston B6 stands out as a good contender but I suppose it all depends who was living there in 1917. It was all so long ago. Again, many thanks to you all.

Hi

In 1912/13 Henry Whitwell was living at 39 Frederick Road Edgbaston Ward. He was the only Henry Whitwell on the Electoral Roll, he doesn't appear on subsequent lists.

Macca

The 1911 census lists the Henry Whitwell in Frederick Road as being a solicitor, the salaried treasurer of the birminingham YMCA Dale End. His wife bertha is listed as having 2 living daughters and one living son, Raymond (25). Raymond is assistant bsecretary of the Friends' Foriegn Mission Association. So this cannot be the same Henry

Thomas Whitwell died on 27 May 1917 whilst serving with the 2 Bn. Worcs regt.
When he enlisted he gave his birthplace as Dumfries.He died 21st May 1917 buried at Arras France.

1891 Kirkconnel, Dumfires Scotland.

Henry Whitwell age 35 born England Mole Catcher
Sarah age 34
James 13
William 11
Mary 2
Thomas 3 months
all born England except Thomas born Dumfries.

1901 Field Lane, Old Swinford Worcs.
Henry Whitwell age 45 widower b. Kinver , Mole Catcher
Thomas 10
Harry 8 (Henry birth reg Kidderminster 1893)
Mary 5
May 3
also at the address
Emma Petford age 41 with her children Emily 11, Walter 7, Doris 4.

Sarah Whitwell died in 1900.
On Thomas census entry his birthplace is given as Kingswinford.

1911 Henry snr at same address, Emma is listed as wife but have not found marriage.
Thomas and Henry are lodging at different addresses in Worcs,

Thomas Whitwell married Fanny Eliza Cope in 1913 , there may have been a daughter Mabel born 1914.
Fanny Eliza Whitwell married a Joseph Austin Chamberlain in 1952 and she died in Stourbridge 1977.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your efforts. It may interest you to know that young Harry Whitwell was born at Woodhouse, Hurcott, just outside Kidderminster. Harry enlisted with all of his brothers to serve his 'King and Country' during 'The Great War'. Thomas lies somewhere near Croisilles in Northern France. Henry lies without a headstone in the frequently desecrated cemetery at Amara, near the banks of the River Tigris. A long way from the Stour. Thomas's name was dully included on the Civic War Memorial in Stourbridge but Henry's, probably because his father had to leave his son's home, was not. For some time I have been trying, without success, to whip up any local enthusiasm to have Henry's name included alongside his brother's, on the town memorial in time for this Government's proposed centennial commemoration of the outbreak of the war, 2014. Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council has informed me that it would cost £1,757, and some pence. This, I feel, brings a new perspective to the frequently quoted phrase: 'Lest we forget'. Paul Nash.

Rogue I think the attitude of DMBC is despicable, have you tried writing to your local newspaper to highlight this and get support for your very worthy cause. This is a relatively small sum and compared with the money wasted by all Councils,
have you tried getting the support of the local British Legion?

Have done that, including letters to local MP Margot James, Black Country History Society, Stourbridge Society of St. George and local newspapers. It seems that there is no enthusiasm for such a project as mine. In fact the RBL stated in their letter to me that: 'it is not their official policy to offer any funding (which was not my intention) but they would bring it up at their next meeting' (which was). I have not heard from them for some time now. I feel now that the only way I can have Harry's name added to Stourbridge's current War Memorial, in time for 2014, is to pay for the work myself, but this would negate any sign of civic recognition for Harry and his father's sacrifice following 'The War To End All Wars'.

Hello Rogue,
Just a thought, Would the British Legion be any help with this sort of Project???? Think maybe you need to publicise this in some . way because it is the sort of thing that people would support. If they only sent e-mails to the relevant people it would highlight the problem. They just cannot get away with this sort of response. Sometimes Public Opinion works better than so called officials. Live up to your name and be a rogue !!!! You have already done such sterling work don't give in yet.

Betty. { can you tell I am angry ???? }

I wouldn't have thought it mattered where the father was living, this young man from Stourbridge gave his life as did his brother.
It is outrageous that he is not honoured in the same way as Thomas.
I would show Henrys entry in the Worcester Regiments roll of honour to everyone in authority that has any interest in the Memorial.
In the entry it says born Worcester, enrolled Stourbridge and that his father now lived in Aston(1918) formerly in Stourbridge.

Last edited:
Back