• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. G

Silver Jubilee 1977 Street Party, Shrewley Crescent, Tile Cross. Anyone remember the date?

Hello, I came across this the other day so I scanned it. I vaguely remember it. However, I can't find the date it actually took place. I don't suppose anyone remembers this particular party in Shrewley Crescent and the date it took place? Many thanks, Gary
  2. G

Pill boxes, Elmdon airfield c.1968

Yup, I'm in reminisce mode today. When I was thinking about my plane spotting days, we used to sit on top of an old pill box and plane spot. They were great although the authorities weren't too happy (but turned a blind eye). I think you could even get inside them. I believe there were a few of...
  3. G

Dragon Rapide, scrapped at Elmdon airport

Anyone recall a Dragon Rapide that I think was based at Elmdon? Eventually, it was scrapped around Elmdon Lane just inside the airfield perimeter amongst bushes. At one point, I had a bit of material from it sadly lost now. Anyone remember the registration? Eventually, I think it was removed...
  4. G

Other planes, Elmdon airport 12th August 1970

Whilst I was at it, as well as the Viking, thought I'd post a few other pics from that day, it may bring back some memories. Again, sorry for the poor pictures - taken with an old Kodak 126 Instamatic. In those days, you could happily wonder around the back of the hangers without too much...
  5. G

Vickers Valetta VW197 (not Viking as thought), Elmdon airport 12th August 1970

Hi all, just thought I'd post my picture of the Vickers Valetta (not Viking as first thought - thanks oldMohawk) which seemed to remain at Elmdon for some time. Not sure of the history of this plane so if anyone knows, I'd be grateful.
  6. G

Haunted/Spooky house adjacent to The Bell pub, Marston Green

Does anyone remember a really strange shop/house that was adjacent to The Bell pub, but set slightly behind it as I recall (so about opposite to Sharps)? I think about this place every now and then as was very interesting to us local kids. Can't recall the name of the shop or who ran it and I'd...
  7. G

Fine Fare Chelmsley Wood Shopping Centre, July 1977

During the summer of 1977, I worked at Fine Fare in Chelmsley Wood shopping centre. I pushed trolleys up a ramp from the various levels to the shop levels. Great fun! I think I worked there prior to going to Warwick University and I recall it being a hot summer and very bright. I would walk from...
Back