• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. bob56

Birmingham on Sea

Weston Super Mare has been a Holiday destination for Millions of of Brummies over the years and Its' 2 Piers were a popular spot to visit until 1994, when sadly, Birnbeck Pier was closed to the Public on H&S grounds...However, there Is now a Facebook Group called "Lets save Birnbeck Pier" who...
  2. bob56

Elan Valley and its Pipeline into Birmingham.

This Is an Interesting piece of film https://www.thedambusters.org.uk/nantygro.html
  3. bob56

Brandwood Secondary School, Sunderton Road, Kings Heath

some pictures of Brandwood just before demolition https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=95674290273&v=photos
  4. bob56

I remember Taffy well, but didn,t know about the Matthews link. I,ll never forget when, during an art lesson, he just told the boys to go out & play football as it was a waste of time trying to teach us any more as we were leaving the next week (I think he got into trouble with the Head Master...
  5. bob56

Hi stag707 I was in Taylor house, If I remember right the others were Mortimer,Greaves & Lyttleton
  6. bob56

Where did you live

Born in Bryndale Avenue, Kings Heath. Now live in Worcester
  7. bob56

Record shops in Bham

Hobdays, & Woolies in Kings Heath also Pinnicks in Alcester Lanes End
  8. bob56

Guided buses Tracline 65

Thanks Dave M, I think i,ve got the gist of what was happening. Unusual for the E.U. to use us as an experiment & mess things up:)
  9. bob56

Guided buses Tracline 65

Excuse my stupidity but what exactly is going on in the picture?:confused2:
  10. bob56

Yew Tree - Witton Closed

I managed the Yew Tree in 1983 for 4 months until the brewery decided to turn it into a tenancy, so had to move on:redface: Such good memories & good customers:)
  11. bob56

The Bombing Of Coventry BBC 2

My Dad was on leave the night Coventry was bombed and had volunteered for fire watch duties on the roof of Times Furnishers in New Street. I remember him telling me years later that the horizon lit up like a sun rise, and, every now and then when the wind turned he could hear the sirens & bombs...
  12. bob56

Tanks

Adele You could try this https://www.tankmuseum.org/home Good hunting
  13. bob56

the may pole pub

Hi Astonian I,m afraid the maypole was demolished several years ago after being boarded up for some time even though it was a listed building. There is a hotel on the site now:(. I used to drink in there in the 70,s it was a big pub with several rooms until the brewery knocked them into...
  14. bob56

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

they used to do a fabulous sausage & egg sandwich of a morning, he must have made a fortune
  15. bob56

Mike Hailwood Memorial Run & Pictures

Re: mike hailwood memorial run I didn,t realise his daughter was with him..I remember passing the scene some time after it happened, total carnage!
  16. bob56

Pineapple Infants (Kings Heath)

Hi Terry I can honestly say that Mr Waugh frightened the life out of me also,He smacked my backside with a plimsoll in front of the whole class one day for not doing my homework properly,I never forgave him for that! Do you remember any of our classmates names? I can recall the following...
  17. bob56

Pineapple Infants (Kings Heath)

Hi Terry I remember the shelters very well, I lost a couple of Dinky cars in one but wasn,t brave enough to go back in & retrieve them. Was the aviary on the left as you walked past the main building to get to the playgrounds? Bob Pickard
  18. bob56

Your first pint/cherryB/gin & it/etc (delete as applicable)

It,s a toss up between The Greenwood Tree on Primrose Hill estate or The Gladiator on Druids Heath. Wherever it was it would have been a pint of mild..Pure nectar!!!!
  19. bob56

Hi Terry Couldn,t agree more. I know we have contacted each other using the personal message option of this site but I felt that I could add another name or two....Mr turner p.e. teacher ( what a !!!!!!! ) his predecessor Mr Clarke, Miss Wise ( had a crush on her ) & Mr Dutton who was my...
  20. bob56

City window cleaners

Hi jonacs1 Ah yes, those liquid lunch " hours " were the best. I remember Tommy Cullen but never actually worked on his gang. Our main dustdown was at the North engine works at Longbridge & Lucas. The lads i worked with were Harry Kirby ( gaffer ) John Slattery, " father " John Castle, Kenny...
Back