• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Bikeral72

Fisher & Ludlows factory

Sorry I am not much help either. I was working there in 1961, having just finished my apprenticeship as a sheet metal worker, but can't recall any of those on your photo. I've had a good look, and certainly would have remembered any that worked in my block, but alas none of those.
  2. Bikeral72

Sutton Park

Nice to see the swans are still prominent at Wydley pool Dave. The little Coots didn't seem to be too bothered about their giant friends.
  3. Bikeral72

Stratford Road

My wife worked as an apprentice florist, at a shop on Stratford Road, Sparkbrook. It was known as Raymond's florist, and was run and owned by a Mr & Mrs Tan. The Angel pub opposite Farm Road, was frequented regularly by my late father in law. My wife and I were married in the church in Farm...
  4. Bikeral72

Fisher & Ludlows factory

Can't say I knew any of those in the photos, but Fishers was a huge factory, with. Any blocks. I spent most of my latter years in A2 block. I left in 1969, to take a new job at Rootes in Coventry. Great quality photos though.
  5. Bikeral72

Old street pics..

Thanks for that Jenny, I will follow this up and get the app for my ipad
  6. Bikeral72

Motorcycle Shops

Des, you've done extremely well to still be the owner of your Shooting Star. Looking back there are a number of bikes I have owned that I wished now I'd kept. Hind sight is a great thing. I bought a 1954 Gold Flash off my brother in 1957, this was the first big bike I owned, having cut my teeth...
  7. Bikeral72

Moor End Lane School

A thought came back to me today, with the local weather forecast, of the great times we used to have on the icy slide in the playground at Moor End Lane school. It was a good 50 yards long, and down hill as well. We used to crouch down and call that a little man slide. It had always disappeared...
  8. Bikeral72

Fisher & Ludlows factory

Well, I finally managed to get the photo's, thanks Speedwing. Unfortunately most were before my time there. I started as an apprentice in 1955 and although some of the production of Bendix washing machines and sinks were still being produced, I didn't have much to do with the factory until I...
  9. Bikeral72

Fisher & Ludlows factory

Can anyone help with the above problem, I must be already logged in to post this reply.
  10. Bikeral72

Fisher & Ludlows factory

I would very much like to look at the photo's on post #75 Re Fisher & Ludlow factory, but the system keeps asking me to login. When I do try and login, it is saying my login details are wrong and doesn't recognise my email address either.
  11. Bikeral72

Fisher & Ludlows factory

I remember Ron Eamonson well. He interviewed me for the job I went to from Fishers, to Rootes in Coventry. He was a well liked chap. When he came back to Fishers from his National Service days, he came back to the apprentice training school in Ashold Farm Road. The idea was to break him in...
  12. Bikeral72

Summer Lane - Troman

We had Tromans living next door to us at number 5 Cedar Drive, Erdington, in the early 50's. I can't remember their christian names, but I believe their daughter was a Margaret Troman, she would be about 65/68 now.
  13. Bikeral72

Bhf christmas meet 2012

Dear Lyn, It is with regret that we will not be able to make it to the Jeweller's Arms meet on Saturday. My wife has had a nasty fall, requiring stitches to her face and two bone fractures to her left hand. She is still rather poorly and needs care and attention. She tripped first thing...
  14. Bikeral72

Upper Highgate School for Girls

My wife went to this school, she left in 1958. Her maiden name was Lilian Gabbett, she lived in Leapold Street.
  15. Bikeral72

Old street pics..

I don't know where your getting them from Lyn, but keep them coming. Thare are places within the big city that I have never been, so any photo's of anywhere in Brum, could just wake up a memory or two.
  16. Bikeral72

Old street pics..

Fantastic quality photo's Lyn, My wife was born and bred in Leapold Street, I wonder if she will remember that photo.
  17. Bikeral72

Moor End Lane School

Forgot to mention that the photo's in post #5 were kindly sent to me by Fentham. Thank you Jean, super quality pics form the 40's.
  18. Bikeral72

Moor End Lane School

Here are a couple more photo's from Moor End Lane School. I can only guess as one is circa 1946, the other about 1948/9. Maybe someone will recognize there face or others in the same class.This one about 1946. This one about 1948/9
  19. Bikeral72

Fifties Food

All so very true, how things have changed. How did we manage then, without all the things we have today. We just adapt like any animal would. Lets hope it doesn't start getting up to 50c in Summer and -50 in Winter, maybe we really would have to adapt or invent something very quickly to survive.
  20. Bikeral72

St Barnabas Church Erdington

Thanks to Fentham, who has kindly passed on these photo's of the choir at St Barnabas Church, Erdington. I can only guess the date as being around 1950. I know one or two of these boys, I wonder how many that look at this thread will recognize any that they know. It's a matter of what your long...
Back