• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. K

Sheldon

Hi everyone, I was intrigued to hear of the Elms Farm House as were buying a house in Chaffcombe road which is the last one before the gulley which leads to the shops at the Radleys. Would the house have been next door to the house were buying? The Newsagent is still there but now boarded up...
  2. K

Kingshurst

Hi, I live on Cooks Lane and we back onto the Babbs Mill Parkland/ Nature Reserve. We have a housing estate that runs at the back of us and our garden just misses backing straight onto the park. You access this estate opposite the Texaco now Esso petrol garage. We haven't been here long and I...
  3. K

Burrows (Sydney )

Hi Astonian, What have I started here? Do you happen to know why Stanley had nothing to do with his natural father Sydney after his mother met Josef? I thought being as he never got on with his stepfather he would have gone and lived with his real dad instead. Did he ever mention anything about...
  4. K

Burrows (Sydney )

Hi Janice, Thank you so much for this info. I've just found out apparently Sydney was married before so you were right about that and yes it would be a good idea to go to the library and look at the records to see how long they were there for at May Lane. We knew there was one son but now there...
  5. K

Burrows (Sydney )

Hi Janice, No that's the problem, we don't. All we do know for definite was that he was still living in May Lane in 1967-68 Kingsheath area. I thought it was confusing at the start with not knowing his age but after seeing all other bits of info that people have sent me, it gets worse by the...
  6. K

Burrows (Sydney )

Hi Astonian, How strange is this story, we thought Sydney's son was called Michael? All I do know for definite was that Sydney Burrows was still living in May Lane in 1967-68 and that he was Foreman of a factory in the Aston area I think. Was Marjorie also known May do you know as she is...
  7. K

Burrows (Sydney )

Hi Bewdley, It's getting more complicated by the minute, Astonian has just told me the missing son could be Stanley and not Michael as we thought. Do you know who May was to Sydney when they were living in May Lane in 1955. Was she his wife or mother as there seems to be a mention of Marjorie...
  8. K

Burrows (Sydney )

Hi Bewdley, Thank you for that info. I don't suppose you know when he died do you and if there is a son. I've looked before and can't find any info for either of these queries? Many thanks again
  9. K

Burrows (Sydney )

Hi can anyone help with any information concerning a Sydney Burrows who I believe lived in May Lane, Kingsheath in the 1950's-60's. He was the foreman at a factory but can't remember what it was called unfortunately and had a son called Michael who may have emigrated.I believe Sydney Burrows may...
  10. K

Vernon

Hi Dave, Yes my Dad told me about his Airdale dog that he used to have. I think Syd passed away in 1968, my mom and dad who knew him well lived over the road, then moved from there in 1964. Thanks for the info you sent me, really hope, I will hear from John the eldest son but will have to wait...
  11. K

Vernon

Thanks again Astonian for all your info. Have to wait and see now if I receive a reply from John Vernon. Fingers crossed!!! Karen
  12. K

Vernon

Hi Alberta, thanks for the info, have now got an address for John so have written to him, hopefully this will clarify a few things. cannot find an address still for Ronnie but have a feeling he may be living in Yorkshire. Karen
  13. K

Vernon

Thank you Astonian, that is something I can do further research on, I have now got an address for John so will see how it goes from there. Do you happen to know if there was another sibling as someone once mentioned a daughter? Karen
  14. K

Vernon

Hi Josie, Thank you so much for that, I am going to write to them on behalf of my husband. I will let you know how I get on. I wonder if Ronnie is living in Yorkshire, maybe I will find that out later.
  15. K

Vernon

Hi there, I'm still researching the Vernon family on my husband's behalf. I definately know that Sydney Vernon born 1908, died in 1968 as his death was registered in June of that year. I'm trying to locate the 2 sons John and Ronnie who should be now around 79 and 65? Any idea how I could find...
  16. K

The Bell Marston Green.

Can't believe The Old Bell will not be a pub anymore. I live just up the road from there and hadn't heard anything about this before I read it on here. I hope it survives better than the Chestnut Tree did on Sheldon Heath Road and the Comet Pub at Hodge Hill. We just seem to be losing all our...
  17. K

Sydney Burrows (May Lane)

Hi,Does anyone know a Sydney Burrows who lived in May Lane around the 1960's, I think this would be the Maypole area, Hollywood. I know he was the foreman of a factory in Aston so I believe. I think he died from a heart attack whilst driving his car around the year 1968.Any info anyone has would...
  18. K

CW Cheney, Factory Road in Hockley

Hello there, Does anyone remember a Sid Burrows who was the foreman at C W Cheney in Factory Road, Hockley, B'ham. It would have been around late 1950's and early 1960's? If so, does anyone have any photo's, I would love to see them if you have. Many thanks Karen
  19. K

Help with a Death Certificate Sidney Burrows

Hi Shera, That must be him then and at least I know how to spell his name now thanks to you. I'd love to know what happened to him from then on? He seems to just disappear.
  20. K

Help with a Death Certificate Sidney Burrows

Hi Shera, I don't think either of them are him either but thank you so much for trying to help. All we know is he died in 1968 and lived in May Lane around the Hollywood, Wythall area. He had his own factory and a son called Michael. We have looked but there doesn't seem to be any trace of him...
Back