• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

The Good Companions : Coventry Road, South Yardley

For those who patronised "The Goodies" I have uploaded a page for this inter-war pub. Lots of photographs with many of the rooms featured, along with the bowling green. I have provided details of the architect and sculptor etc. Plus, a mention of the day when the leader of the opposition did a...
  2. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Camp Hill

Hi Janice, I was intrigued by this so have done a little digging myself. I have posted some notes at www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/stratford-road/ which may help - or add to the confusion :confused:
  3. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Villa Tavern Villa Street Hockley

Actually I can believe it - I went to Smethwick archives just before Christmas as they have the newspaper title I wanted to look at, well one edition in particular. They had every edition apart from the one I wanted to see. This happens to me all the time. I'm cursed.
  4. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

I suspect that only Astoness may be able to help with this as it is her back yard. I bought a CD of the 1845 trade directory but Page 84 is blank - I can't believe the page I actually want is missing! Of course, it includes Villa Street - I wanted to see if I could find anything before John...
  5. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

If only I had a database!!
  6. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

For those interested in Black country History

Thanks Mike I didn't know about the book so just bought it from https://historywm.com/podcasts/forging-ahead where Simon Briercliffe also has a podcast.
  7. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Wellington street, Winson Green

And just as I was typing that my inbox pinged with a bill for my SSL DV Certificate - that's the little padlock on the address bar to let people know my site is safe - just came in. A mere £106.79p for 12 months. I definitely am mad.
  8. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Wellington street, Winson Green

Quite. I keep shelling out fees to keep my site going but it is now £600 per year - I must be mad.
  9. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

Well, I am plodding on with building my monument to Monument Road. Plenty to feast your eyes on so far - if anybody recognises some of the people please shout up! https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/monument-road/index.html A week ago I knew little about this road. Now I almost feel as...
  10. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

Looks interesting but I cannot access it. It may be a restricted access site?
  11. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

Seems to fit, though I would like to see more documents or map. Your contribution of the large-scale map was very helpful. I miss these maps! I could, if I could be arsed, go to the library to try and tie it all up neatly but I find the new library pretty much unusable and don't bother going to...
  12. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

I think I have got to the bottom of this ... though in need of some more work. However, I believe the Vine Inn became the Sir John Falstaff Tavern. I have written a little blurb on my theory at : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/monument-road/sir-john-falstaff-tavern.htm
  13. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Humorous And Interesting Newspaper Stories about Birmingham

They actually did this in Carlisle - state-owned boozers!!
  14. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

I have done a little more on Monument Road. I have uploaded some information on The Edgbaston cinema. This is different from the info posted on http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/37361 - I don't know where that info comes from but I will leave you, the reader, to decide which version you trust...
  15. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

Sorry, I forgot to add that the Vine inn sign fits in nicely with a nursery - there was also a vinery in the grounds of the aforementioned Spring Grove which wasn't far from the tavern. However, I do not know the exact location of the house. As Pedrocut posted, and I have seen the item to which...
  16. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

Thanks Mikejee, I hadn't got this map - are they back online now? I did clock the info on Thomas Beach. Following his death, Sarah sold off the lower part of the nursery, suggesting it was quite extensive. I had also noted the name of Beach Street and wondered if it referred to this family or...
  17. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

This is about the time they dismantled the place and sold off bits before redevelopment of the area.
  18. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

Does anybody have any old maps of the Rotton Park area - pre-OS maps, say, early 19th century? I am trying to locate Spring Grove House, once the home of the glass entrepeneur William Chance who died in 1856.
  19. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

Yes, she is listed in Icknield Street West but close to Ladywood Place which I suspect was near Ladywood Lane [later Ladywood Road]. In terms of the census she was not far from Icknield Port Road so it suggests she was in that part of the road. As I state on my web page, Monument Lane extended...
  20. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Monument Road

My page sort of explains the road name changes and where and when etc. Yes, I have the Vine Inn but, so far, not placed it exactly.
Back