• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. aston lad

LETTER ARRIVES OVER 100 YEARS LATE

Sorry I don't believe that, I think some one has reposted that a few days ago.
  2. aston lad

Aston Parkland, Moors and Land

Yes it does say Close..
  3. aston lad

Aston Parkland, Moors and Land

Post 2, Yellow dot would be close to the High Street and Park Lane junction, if you follow the road down to the next junction that is where the Barton Arms would be built, I can also make out Barton Street and Potters Lane.
  4. aston lad

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Post 3046. Is Six Ways Aston, The bank along with almost every thing you can see have long gone .
  5. aston lad

Findmypast Divorce records

I had to pay almost £40 to obtain my grandfathers divorce papers from 1921, I have been told that not many divorce records survived after the 1920's, I have tried to get my own parents divorce papers from the early 1960s but they do not longer exist.
  6. aston lad

Aston Reservoir

Probably taken from the roof of one of the blocks of flats which were built along Aston Hall Road.
  7. aston lad

The retreat...aston

Like I have already said, I don't know where the location is on that photograph, but I can tell you it's not the Retreat in Aston that ran from Sutton Street to Wilkinson Street, and if you bothered to read through all the replies you will notice that all those members who lived in and around...
  8. aston lad

The Bosted Boot

Yes , it was on the corner of Park Lane and Clarendon Street, the proper name was the Royal Oak, but everyone called it the Bosted Boot, I lived in Clarendon Street for the first 16 years of my life I didn't know the proper name of the pub until many years after I moved away, there may be a...
  9. aston lad

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

The mountain bike events are being held within 5 minutes drive from where I live today, not looking forward to the extra amount of traffic which it will bring to the area, we have quite a few road works going on at the moment and on a normal day its very bad, so if anyone on here is planning to...
  10. aston lad

newtown row shops

Sorry Lyn...but you are incorrect, Newton Row either starts at Bracebridge Street or ends there
  11. aston lad

St Mary's Cof E School, Avenue Rd, Aston

St Mary's School Aston from a newspaper report September 1953, I purchased this off ebay about 15 years ago, never got around to scanning it until today, I couldn't get the whole page on my scanner due to using my printer instead of my normal scanner.
  12. aston lad

Aston Parish Church WW1 Memorial

I could have Janice...53 years before I had died :) I was the eldest solider to die .... I wonder who was ? Harry Webber aged 67..
  13. aston lad

No Ann, I was just wondering, being Aston born and bred but moved away many years ago, but still think as Aston (old Aston ) as my home, It was just a thought.
  14. aston lad

Hi Ann, I have a question for you, lets say I was killed in WW1 would I qualify for the memorial, I was born in Aston, I was baptised in Aston Church, I have family who were married there, baptised there and buried there BUT I haven't lived in Aston for almost 53 years ?,
  15. aston lad

Hi Ann, No, I got it from his service records
  16. aston lad

Ann, I hope I have found another not found, Griffin H.F, I have got Frederick J Griffin reg 241271, lived at 200 Phillips Street Aston, died 05/10/1917, you have probably already checked him out, I have check out every Griffin on the soldiers died in the great war, there is a Frederick Hyla...
  17. aston lad

Ann, I have found the address of Harry Foster reg 306093, he also had 3794 as a reg number as well, born 1888, and lived at 5/38 Whitehead Road, with his wife of one year Laura nee North.
  18. aston lad

Ann, I found the age and address of Albert Hughes, born 1890, lived at 8 Wallis Place, Aston, Warwickshire, England in 1911, he married Mary Polly Doody in 1913, I am not to sure at one stage Albert lived in Thomas Street and was baptise at St Mary's but not certain..
  19. aston lad

I do believe I have found an address for Gilbert Thomas Webb and his wife born Harriet Kezia Jinks, who was married someone with the surname Chaplin, Gilbert and Harriett were married in 1910 Aston area, they were living at 52 William Street Birmingham in 1911, Now there is a bit of a twist I...
  20. aston lad

Ann...I think that being in the Warwickshire's 6th regiment is the only link to Aston that some of the men have, I have searched through the people with no known Aston address and I have found that the majority were in the 6th or 8th Warwickshire's, and properly based at Witton barrack's
Back