• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. ziksby

Quality Autos (B'ham) Harborne Lane, Selly Oak

Anyone remember this used car lot. They sold sports cars and American models. In 1969 I traded in my Triumph Vitesse convertible for a Sunbeam Harrington. This was an Alpine Le Mans with a Harrington body. The reg. no. was 692 DLO and by chance last year I Googled this number and found that it...
  2. ziksby

ENT Hospital, Edmund Street.

Doing a free search for my grandfather on the 1911 census I found him in an 'Institution' in Birmingham. Prison? Workhouse? Anxious to find out, I bought some credits and paid for the transcription (cheapest option). He was listed as a patient at 109 Edmund Street. I then Googled this address to...
  3. ziksby

Cut-price Cigarettes - Mr Value / Supercigs

Another company I worked for in the mid-80s was Buy-Wise, a CTN operation with 90 branches in the Midlands/South Wales. They traded under several names, the most notable being 'Mr Value' and 'Mainly Cards'. There were shops in most Birmingham suburbs and in the city centre. This is not a...
  4. ziksby

ZODIAC TOYS in Chelmsley Wood

Anyone remember this toyshop? It was one of the first shops to open on the Chelmsley Wood shopping centre in the early 1970s. It was managed by Audrey Dee from its first day until the chain folded in 1989. I was an area manager for Zodiac, later operations director for 85 UK branches. We...
  5. ziksby

More about Woolworths

I was a Woolworth manager in the late 1960s (Dudley Road, Winson Green for my sins) .... More villains in my store than in the prison. I was once mugged taking change to the bank, but fought them off. They fled empty-handed. Anyway for interest, here is a mid 1960s list of Birmingham stores...
Back