• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ENT Hospital, Edmund Street.

ziksby

Old Malvernian
Doing a free search for my grandfather on the 1911 census I found him in an 'Institution' in Birmingham. Prison? Workhouse? Anxious to find out, I bought some credits and paid for the transcription (cheapest option). He was listed as a patient at 109 Edmund Street. I then Googled this address to find out it was the ENT Hospital. Perhaps he was having his tonsils out. Although there was a space to name the institution on the transcription, it was blank, hence the Google.

Hi Ziksby:

Perhaps your grandfather was in the ENT at the time of the census.
Some of the information on these forms is missing or not correct which makes it much harder to trace. Good luck.

Ziksby,
I can honestly say I've been there and done that, but a lot later than your dates. I went in to the ENT on Thursday 29 July 1939 and had the tonsils job done next morning. but wasn't collected until Monday 3 July. Thanks to my late Nanny Walker who recorded all these things in her diary which I have in front of me.
I remember it quite well, especially going in there, quite terrified. In a lobby to the left of the entrance door, a nurse put a thermometer in my mouth and what did I do? - I bit it hard, broke it into two, and then started the blarting. I knew then that I would probably be excused, but I still regret that incident.
Peter

Peter
Are you sure you aren't Peter Pan. not Peter Walker. Don't know how you otherwise go in on 29th July and come out on 3rd.! Didn't have my tonsils done in Brum, and it was a few years later (1948 I think), but wasn't it a horrible experience compared to the hospitals today, even with the ice cream you got because your sore throat couldn't take anything else - and then you were sick after the ice cream !
mike

I agree Mike that the hospitals were awful in those days. I went into the
ENT in 1952 for have an op on my sinuses. I had to attend a clinic somewhere in Great Charles Street for a few weeks before being admitted to get me ready for the op. Stuffing rubber tubes up my nose...I will never forget that torture. Never able to figure out why I had to suffer through that.

I was in the hospital for over a week and because of a shortage of beds they
put me in the grown ups ward. This was awful because no parents were
allowed to visit children and all the grownups had visitors every night....I just hid under the covers when they were there. I can remember that they had
fireplaces in some of the wards. I was glad to get out of there.

Great that you have your Grandma's diary Peter...good for helping you out with your memories.

Back