• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Gwynfor

Crockett & lowe

Hi Harry, Yes I know of Andrew Crockett, he was the son of Bill Crockett who was my boss, when I was an apprentice I went to there house with one of the other pattern makers to put up a new fence in there back garden, I remember meeting Andrew & his Brother there one day, they were only about 10...
  2. Gwynfor

Simpson family (Jack, former boxer from 1940s)

Hi, My wife told me that she remembers going to see one of Uncle Jack's fights with her Father when she was a young girl, the fight took place at a pub in the garden, Jack & Alice lived in Cooksey Lane, Kingstanding, Birmingham for most of there married life and they used to go to the Dears Leap...
  3. Gwynfor

Crockett & lowe

I started work as an apprentice Pattern Maker at Crockett & Lowe Ltd in Nelson Street in January 1961, not long after I started I moved to another of Crockett's factories in Broad St, after a few years we moved over the road to Bishopgate Street where I stayed till 1969, Bill Crockett had...
  4. Gwynfor

Wrensons

When I started work as an apprentice pattern maker in 1961 I used to fetch the errands for my fellow workers and the factory was a couple of doors away from Wrensons in Broad Street, I remember going in the shop every day to buy the men's lunch, I used to buy butter which was sold loose and...
  5. Gwynfor

I have attached some photos of Jack Simpson with Alice & her Family
  6. Gwynfor

Hi Thanks for the photos they are great, I made a mistake with Thomas, William Astle was the name of Alice’s Father who was also the Father of my wife’s Father John Astle, so it could have been him in the article, we have some photos of Jack & Alice which I will post on here when I find them.
  7. Gwynfor

My wife's maiden name is Astle and Jack Simpson's wife Alice Astle was my wife's Aunty, Alice's mother was also named Mary Cain, is this a coincidence or are Alice & Jack Simpson related, in one of the articles which was posted in a earlier post George Simpson and Thomas Astle were arrested for...
  8. Gwynfor

Birmingham Amateur Football Teams

I used to play for Kenwick Dynamo in the early to middle sixties, we were managed by Mr Jones who was a teacher at Harborne Hill School, we were Harborne Lynwoods biggest rivals but we were in different leagues, we played in the South Birmingham Sunday Premier League, some of the players who...
  9. Gwynfor

Paganel Road Primary School

This is a photo of Paganel Road School football team in 1956, we beat Raddelbarn Road 2-0 in the final of the Kalamazoo Shield at the Birmingham Battery Sports Ground in Selly Oak, I am the captain holding the winners trophy, it would be great to see if anyone else on this forum remembers it...
  10. Gwynfor

Photo

Thanks OldMohawk
  11. Gwynfor

Photo

Can someone restore this photo please.
  12. Gwynfor

PEARCE (PEERS) - Thomas

I have found the Census records for Thomas Pearce after he married Elizabeth Doyle and as you can see he changed his name on all three records (strange) 1891 Census. Howard T Pearce, Head, M , Age 32, Spade & Shovel Maker, Born Scotland. Elizabeth Pearce, Wife, M , Age 28, Born Wolverhampton...
  13. Gwynfor

PEARCE (PEERS) - Thomas

Re: Thomas Pearce (Peers) Hi John, Marriage details for Thomas Pearce & Elizabeth Doyle are as follows. 10th April 1882 at the Parish Church of Bishop Ryder, Birmingham. Thomas Peers age 24, bachelor, Shovel Maker, living Great Lister St, Father George Peers, Blacksmith. Elizabeth Doyle age...
  14. Gwynfor

PEARCE (PEERS) - Thomas

Suzanne That looks promising I will have to investigate to see what I can find out. Cheers Gwynfor
  15. Gwynfor

PEARCE (PEERS) - Thomas

Re: Thomas Pearce (Peers) Hi Carolina, I am not 100% sure about him being born in Scotland but on the 1891 & 1901 census records it says he was born in Scotland, another member of the family lived in Scotland Street,Birmingham so it could have been a mistake, I have seen George & Harriatt on...
  16. Gwynfor

PEARCE (PEERS) - Thomas

I am looking for the parents of Thomas Pearce b abt 1858 in Scotland he got married to Elizabeth Doyle on 10th April 1882 in the Parish of Bishop Ryder Birmingham,on the Marriage certificate Thomas's Father was George Peers who was a Blacksmith,we can't find any census records for Thomas Pearce...
  17. Gwynfor

YOUNG Alfred & PEARCE May

Thanks Ladylinda the information was great,the Census records look like they are the right family but I can't understand why the head of the family changes his name from Thomas Pierce to Howard T Pearce also in the 1911 Census he calls himself John Thomas Pearce, it must be the same person...
  18. Gwynfor

YOUNG Alfred & PEARCE May

I am looking for any information regarding Alfred Young and May Pearce who married in Oct 1915 in Aston, I think May's Father was John Thomas Pearce b abt 1860 and her Mother was Eliza Elizabeth b abt 1864, I can't seem to find any records for them hoping someone can help. I have attached a...
  19. Gwynfor

Astle Family 4/142 Guildford St,Lozells.

I am looking for any information on the bombing of my families house on 1st Nov 1940 where 8 of my family were killed, Mother,6 children & their Grandmother all lost their lives. If anyone has photo's or stories about this tragedy I would love to here from you,I would like to know if the family...
  20. Gwynfor

Boxer Jack Simpson

Was the jack simpson you knew married to Alice, he lived in the same road as the dears leap pub, what was is brothers names i never meet them. Thanks
Back