• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. B

William Gilbert father and son

Thank you all for your help so far. The few family trees I've found online have William marrying Maria Warburton but I am sure it's not right. If he was a master clockmaker he would surely have been in that trade all his working life and not switched from being a tailor! I have the two certs of...
  2. B

William Gilbert father and son

Hello to all I have been trying for a long time to make headway with my Gilbert ancestors. I have William Gilbert b. +/- 1813 in Birmingham and son William b. 1835 in Handsworth, plus Martha b. 1836 also in Handsworth. Father and son are clock makers and William senior is well documented in...
  3. B

Scale Beam Maker

Thank you for that information, which ties in nicely with the censuses I have found. He seems to have become quite a prominent clock maker as the years passed. I can't find him at all in 1841, the only William Gilbert even close to being a possibility is a medal maker. Is there any way a...
  4. B

Scale Beam Maker

I'm reviving this old thread as I am looking for info about William Gilbert, clock maker, of Farm Street. He was my 4 x great grandfather. It's interesting that in 1851 he is living with his son William (also a clock maker) plus Phebe Lee and her (?) father John Lee. In 1861 Phebe is still...
Back