• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. J

New unseen photos with no locations

With the mention of Edgbaston Street, brought back memories. I used to work there at Thomas Plant Wholesale Hardware in 1957, and thats where I met my Late Husband. Happy Memories
  2. J

The Women's Hospital, Stratford Rd., Birmingham. c1880

I think the one in Wake Green Road was the Maternity Hospital
  3. J

Occupations That Have Faded Away

I remember the Coop Dairy on Stratford road I used to help the Milkman,and thought it was great sitting on the cart when the Horse was galloping along,after all this time I remember the Horse was called Glider. Also Scribbans Bakery Carts delivering the Bread to my Mom,my Mom used to work in a...
  4. J

Birmingham Odeon

Indeed Happy Days myself & my Daughter went to see David Essex there brilliant,also in the fifties the first time I went with a friend to the Odeon to see a film,we thought we were so Posh,because it was quite different to our local flea pit Jemina
  5. J

Birmingham Cinemas

The good old days Cinemas,my local ones were The Rialto & Robin Hood -Hall Green, Springfield- Sparkhill Piccadilly & Waldorf - Sparkbrook and I also used to go to The Kingsway -Kings Heath & the Carlton. Because they used to change the Films on a Thursday & Sunday,and at one I remember that...
  6. J

Co-op Dairies In The 40's

Does anyone remember the Co-op Dairy on the corner of Cubley Rd & Stratford Rd Hall Green? I used to help the Milkman,the Horse was called Glider,and I used to think it was great sitting on the Cart by the Milkman. Jemina :star:
  7. J

'Orse Road

Another expression used in olden times was You've got to go to the Orspital,my dear old Mother In law used to say that.
  8. J

Brummie sayings & language

Hi Grandmaster I have always known the above as Wench,thats what I used to be called Cheers Jemina
  9. J

Items that have faded away

There were winners on spot the ball,in the 60's my Mom and I used to enter and one Saturday my Dad told us we had won £168 which was a lot of Money,we couldn't believe it.
  10. J

See Birmingham by Post Card

Can anyone help the other day there was a picture on this site of the projection room of a cinema I think in Kings Heath,I would like to find it please
  11. J

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

St Marys Convent High School Hunters Road Handsworth demolished but the Convent is still there,I went there from 1948 until 1952 Jemina Edit. A link to St Mary's Convent School - although uncertain if this is the school referred to as unable to locate it...
  12. J

Re Corona pop I think the Jingle went like this "Corona with the big big C Corona just for you & me it's got a sparkle in the middle and a tickle at the top"
  13. J

Cadburys chocolate bars there were six squares in a block and flavours were peppermint,strawberry,coffee,and caramel,does anyone else remember them,also going right back now to when sweets came off ration Lyons slam bar.
  14. J

The cresta club

Remember The Cresta very well,had our Daughter's 21st there back in 1981.there was a comedian on Aidan J Harvey,but never heard anything of him since. Jemina
  15. J

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Nice to see these snippets of Brum.does anyone remember a shop that sold cakes and rolls especially pineapple cream cakes,this was in 1956/57. I can't remember whether this was in Union St,Union Passage or martineau St. Jemina
  16. J

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Hi Max yes I think you are right the Night Out was in the seventies,where you could have ameal and watch the show,I remember going to see Little & Large there. Jemina
  17. J

Gaskell and Chambers

Sorry I forgot to mention that they were in Dale End in Brum Jemina
  18. J

Gaskell and Chambers

Hi Nostromo I worked at Gaskell & Chambers and they were bar fitters optics etc,this was in the fifties. Jemina
  19. J

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

In the fifties & sixties I remember The Cavendish,La Dolce Vita,Night Out,Cresta and the Castaways,I think the Castaways was in Bradford St I went to see Tom Jones there. The Cresta was at Solihull,and the Night Out I think was in the Horse Fair. Happy Memories. Midge/Jemina
  20. J

Formans Rd, Sparkhill.

My Dad worked at Lucas in Formans Road for over 40 years,I think the name of the Shop was Swifts,during sweet rationing he would take all our coupons there each Month,and come home with a box full of goodies,I remember one was Mars Bars which seemed much larger in those days. When he got home...
Back