• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. L

Items that have faded away

When a small child I used to suck my thumb so my mother put bitter aloes on it before I went to bed, but I braced myself and sucked it off.
  2. L

Me Mother...Bless..

Sorry to disappoint but your mother was married in 1942 and pregnant with her first child in 1943.
  3. L

Contact with another researcher via Ancestry

To say I'm shocked is an understatement. Regards Shirley
  4. L

Winson Green / All Saints Asylum

If you get in touch with, what is now known as, All Saints House, you can arrange to visit the original chapel that was used by the patients.
  5. L

jennings Julia

Re: Julia jennings Thank you very much Wendy. Regards Shirley
  6. L

jennings Julia

Re: Julia jennings Hi Suzanne, Please will you tell me where I can access newspapers? Thanks Shirley
  7. L

jennings Julia

Re: Julia jennings Hi Suzanne, I have just thought, what a pity her age wasn't mentioned - that would have clinched it. Shirley
  8. L

jennings Julia

Re: Julia jennings Wow Suzanne, this would certainly be a good explanation. Obviously there's no way I could know what Julia looked like but Sarah was her mother-in-law's name and if she wasn't ever found that would explain why she wasn't mentioned in subsequent census'. Thank you so much...
  9. L

jennings Julia

Please can anyone help. JULIA JENNINGS was born in 1847 - her father's name was THOMAS, (on marriage certificate). JULIA married JOHN LEAVER in January 1872 and their daughter, MARY ANN, was born later that year. I can't find JULIA on any census, either before or after her marriage. 1881 and...
  10. L

Key Hill Cemetery

Brian I have tried to send email to Post@fkwc but it doesn't work. Shirley
  11. L

Key Hill Cemetery

Thanks very much Brian. The names that I have got, some from census', some from family.org. Joseph - Born 1886/87 - Died between 1841 & 1851 (GG Grandfather) Carey Macdonald (nee Hodgetts) - Born 1789 (GG Grandmother) CHILDREN Sarah Hannah Leaver (nee Macdonald) - Born 1810 - Died 1894...
  12. L

Key Hill Cemetery

Thank you very much wendy. Do you know why someone would be buried in a catacomb? Were they for people who were well-off? Shirley
  13. L

Key Hill Cemetery

Thank you very much Suzanne - the first two I think are correct and the last two are a strong possibility. Shirley
  14. L

Key Hill Cemetery

Hi Wendy, Please can you tell me if you have heard of any Macdonald's buried in Key Hill? Some of the names are Joseph, Carey, Roger and Hannah. Thanks Shirley
  15. L

St Phillips Birmingham Look Ups

This not an answer to your query unfortunately but this information may be useful to you anyway. I have a photocopy of a baptism record from St Phillips which states - JULIA JANE, DAUGHTER OF JOHN AND LYDIA NORTON, BAPTISED 27 JUNE 1808. Regards Shirley
  16. L

Items that have faded away

I had an autograph book when leaving school. When I brought the book home on the last day my mother looked through it and when she saw all the 'rude' verses she confiscated it. The so-called rude verses would not warrent a second glance these days. Shirley
  17. L

Nechells

Thank you so much Phil, it is much appreciated. Shirley
  18. L

Nechells

I am so grateful for the photo of Adams Street, my grandfather, John Leaver lived there - he died in 1910. Does anyone have photo's of Bullock Street please, my great uncle George Harrison lived there until 1935. Regards Shirley
  19. L

Dudley Road Hospital -Peter Walker

Thank you very much Rosie, thats a relief. Shirley
  20. L

Dudley Road Hospital -Peter Walker

On my grandmother's death certificate in 1928 it states that she died at 77 Dudley Road - I thought this was the address for Dudley Road Hospital. It couldn't have been her home address because her home address in Nechells/Duddeston was also included on the certificate. Please can anyone...
Back