• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. T

The Calculating Bureau 223 Bristol Road

The entrance we used was to the left of the photo, the calculating bureau still had its office at the back, the NSPCC at the front.
  2. T

I also worked at their new offices, I think in Bromsgrove Street, off Hurst Street. They had computers there, they were in an air conditioned room, only the engineers were allowed access to them. They were very large, with spool tapes on the top front. All very new, I left soon after.
  3. T

I was an comptometer apprentice here, my dad paid for me to have lessons on a Saturday morning, after I left school I was apprenticed here while they trained me. I still have my indentures. We used to work out the dividends for quite a few Coops, you had the comp operators, then the next section...
  4. T

One for the ladies.

With my daughter it was dried prunes, I could only eat three or four, otherwise I had to suffer the consequences .
  5. T

Muddyman family

There was a Muddymans greengrocers shop on the corner of Longbridge Road & Balsall Heath Rd, this was in the 50/60s. I think somewhere on here a photo was posted.
  6. T

Birmingham's Working Horses

I am sure that my dad used to take me to Calthorpe Park for the May Day parade of horses and wagons, I was only little, maybe the 1950's. I think there was some sort of competition between the participants.
  7. T

Balsall Heath Police

I seem to remember the yard to the right was something to do with the council (going back a few years), I think men who were on the dole, had to go and help with work round the neighbourhood.
  8. T

Chelmsley Wood on the box.

My husband worked on the building of the shopping centre and somewhere we have an old cine film of the Queen opening the shopping centre, I used to meet my husband at the shopping centre after I had finished work at Hawleys and caught a bus to the shopping centre, we used to shop there at...
  9. T

Monks & Co Of Balsall Heath

Banjo, recently someone posted a photo of Fred Lanes newspaper shop in Balsall Heath Road, Monks had one shop to the left of Fred's shop. I think they slaughtered the pigs at the back. As a child i remember watching the pigs going into the small yard, also there was a pork butchers in Gooch...
  10. T

Brummie sayings & language

I find when I try to recall old sayings, some come to mind but others come back out of the blue, the other day my son in law said something cheeky to me, I said you cheeky appeth. Another one I had forgotten.
  11. T

Rag Market

Hi Annie, Thank you for your wonderful books, they are loved by many. As to the Rag Market, my father who was born in 1908, worked for a while when he was young for a family who sold crockery, he said they used to throw the crockery up in the air and slam the edge of the plates and saucers down...
  12. T

Wenman street

Lotty & Brian, just on the left of the photo, you can see the name of a business, was it a sweet manufacturer? Bluebird Toffee keeps coming to mind. I lived in Gosford Street and went to Sunday School at the church on the corner of Nutty Hill, I think they used fuzzy felt things to tell us bible...
  13. T

Rag Market

I am fairly sure one family who sold crockery were the Lees family (there were two as I remember, one at the top and one at the bottom of the market), my dad who was born in 1908 said he had a part time job when he was young with one of the families selling crockery. When we were young it was a...
  14. T

Brummie sayings & language

If my dad was making something and we asked "what are you making Dad" he would reply "A drop latch for a chickens lip". If mom wanted us to do something for her, she would ask what she wanted us to do and then add "I'll give you a little sixpence when my ship comes in". When she said this to my...
  15. T

please help.. roughly which year is was this photo taken ww1? ww2?

The first chap with the swagger stick seems to have spurs attached to his shoes and he is also wearing jodhpurs?
  16. T

Childhood Games

My grandchildren love to play "farmer, farmer may we cross your golden river", they love to be chased so tell me to choose a colour they aren't wearing. When it's their turn to be "on" the rules are bent a little.
  17. T

Lodge Hill Look ups

You can email Lodge Hill or go in person, I have found them very helpful. You need names, date that they died.
  18. T

Longbridge Road Balsall Heath

Hi It might not have been Carol Suckling as you say the memory gets a little dim over the years, I thought that there were Arnolds in Sherborne Road as well as Longbridge Road, the last house by the bomb site that you could walk across to River Street? I have a vague memory that someone in the...
  19. T

Longbridge Road Balsall Heath

I think I remember a Carol Suckling, I think it must have been from school. I was born and bred just up the road from Longbridge Road. I will ask my brother if he remembers.
  20. T

"Cows don't graze in Brum

A few years ago my sister in law told me about the book "Cows don't Graze in Brum", I tried everywhere to get it, a very helpful lady in W H Smiths gave me the publishers name and telephone number, when I rang I was told you want to speak to old Mr Hasker. Well he was as broad a brummie as you...
Back