• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. G

Prefabs in Queens Road, Yardley

I lived in Hob Moor Road from 1940 until 1960 and do remember the prefabs. They backed onto Oaklands Rec'. There were about 12 houses which occupied the area from Hob Moor Croft towards the 'Rec' then the prefabs began opposite Hythe Grove and continued to Holder Road. I am sure they went up...
  2. G

Edward Albert Newton

'evening Chinch, I have concentrated on the Newton line and have little on this branch of the family as they are rather distant. I know that in 1939 Edward was a general labourer and he and his wife Gladys lived with his mother and step father in Highbury Road, Kings Heath. I found the family in...
  3. G

Edward Albert Newton

Edward Albert Newton born 6 August 1912 was my 4th cousin. He was the 6th child of Harry Newton 1880-1914 and Maria Sedgley 16 October 1878, remarried 1916, died 1955. I have information going back should you require more would be happy to share among the family!
  4. G

"the Rock" Public House, Alum Rock Road.

My grandfather was a 'regular' at The Rock during the 1940's and 1950's and most likely before that. He was hit by a car outside the Rock in October 1959 - the driver did not stop Grandad died as a result of his injuries.
  5. G

Church Road, Yardley.

In the early '50's the chippy was run by Mr & Mrs Yardley. They appeared to be a very pleasant elderly couple to me, I must have been all of 12 or 13 and went there every Friday evening after Guides for 3d of chips please! On the odd occasion I would be allowed to go rash and have a 4d portion.
  6. G

Church Road, Yardley.

That sounds like the same one, for some reason (best known to my memory cells) I think it was number 72 Church Road. He also ran the newsagents next door, traded as W.T. Simmonds, sad to say he died at an early age of lung cancer. Amazing what odd information an old brain retains!
  7. G

Church Road, Yardley.

Was the travel agent Bill Simmonds? I lived near the Yew Tree in Hob Moor Road from 1940 until 1960, my parents lived there until 1967 when they retired to Gloucestershire. My sister was a teacher at Church Road School c1951-1953. Happy Days!
  8. G

blakenhale school

Ahh, those were the days. I never missed a Saturday night there during 1955/57. Always had to walk back home to the Yew Tree, certainly wouldn't do that at midnight these days, just not safe anymore.
  9. G

Hello From Bronson

Hi Bronson, You must have known my son, he has worked for those same companies too, He also worked for I think it was something like Gold Star too. He was included in the set up of that company - he eventually married the bosses secretary! He has done most jobs air side but never mentioned...
  10. G

Hello From Bronson

Hi Bronson, Very interested to read your post as my son worked airside at BHX for about 30 years and now has organophosphate poisoning, as have several other folk who are in contact with these fumes on a regular basis. He has been unwell for about the past 10 years and has now eventually found...
  11. G

Taylor, Thomas

Hi Carolina, I agree with farmerdave - in the McLaughlin Guide, What Does It Mean? Moiety: strictly half (of property) held jointly. Extended to other proportions. Messuage: a house, usually larger than a cottage. Appurtenances: 1. things belonging incidentally to property (small buildings...
  12. G

Wills - Download From Gov.uk

Hi Astonion, I visit the Probate Office in Bull Street, Birmingham, (is part of the old Lewis's Building). I'm no good with all this modern technology and would not know how to 'download' so I would rather have the will printed for me. The staff are very helpful and usually I get the copies I...
  13. G

Birmingham Boundaries

Think that Walsall may have been one.
  14. G

Wills - Download From Gov.uk

I ordered on 4th December, in person, from Birmingham Probate Office copies of 3 wills and I am still waiting for them! I was told at the time of ordering they would be about 28 days but allowing for Christmas and New Year, they could take a little longer!!! I have telephoned but was told to...
  15. G

thomas frederick harris

According to my research, stillbirths were not registered prior to 1927.
  16. G

fair ground at new john street birmingham

I have family who were travelling showmen and in 1881 were living in caravans in New John Street, on my grandmother's birth certificate of 1882, her place of birth was 39, New John Street. This area must have been popular with the travellers of that time. Not been able to work further back and...
  17. G

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Dennis, would you mind if I took a copy of your photographs of Moor Street. I would be 'over the moon' as my great grandfather was Thomas Jehu and the family lived at 102. Thank you - S
  18. G

Birmingham Statue Campaign

A typical family - sadly these days the answer is yes - I just wish they had left out 'Birmingham' from the title. Every typical Brummie still has family values. I'm so glad I was born when I was, at a time when such things did matter.
  19. G

Hawkins nee Shelley

Robert and Dulcie V. Hawkins were living in Stoney Lane, Yardley in 2002 and were in Wilkinson Croft, B8 in 2003. Lost trace after that although there is a Dulcie V Hawkins in Witney Oxfordshire - could be in a large block of flats or some form of care home. Info found in the Electoral Rolls...
  20. G

M E HJELTER, War Bride

Sorry, the record only states 'CANADA', not a clue as to which port or the date it arrived. Some records can be very frustrating as they only give you an idea of what you are looking for - never seem to give you the whole story! May be they were so vague because it has a military connection?
Back