• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

Dollond and Aitchison, Coventry Road, Yardley

Hi wigandem, I started working there on the Twilight shift in 1987 processing the prescriptions, so obviously not at the same time as yourself. As you have said, it was a great place to work and i, like you, made loads of friends but sadly got made redundant in approx 1990 (If I remember...
  2. M

Graham Street Lozells

I find this fascinating kiddo, do you have any photos at all? I'll phone my cousin today re her mothers Birth Cert - watch this space!
  3. M

Graham Street Lozells

I'm afraid the names PAIN and KIMBERLEY don't ring any bells kiddo
  4. M

Graham Street Lozells

Hi Kiddo, what was your gt aunt's name? Have you got any other information regarding that address? My dad had a sister (Lily) who was born Dec qtr 1914, I'll ask her daughter if that address is stated on her birth cert.
  5. M

Grosvenor st west pics wanted

Hi Phil I still may be wrong as in Ruston Street, it could even be at the top of Grosvenor Street West and the junction of Ladywood Road?
  6. M

Grosvenor st west pics wanted

I may be wrong but, I don't think the first photo is at the junction of Ryland Street, is it Ruston Street? At the junction of Grosvenor Street/Ryland Street was Gittins the 'bookies' As I remember it, here on this site - https://www.oldladywood.co.uk/grosvenorstreet.htm
  7. M

Fisher & Ludlows factory

Hi Pauline, you mention George Bousefield - did he live in Grosvenor Street West, Ladywood?
  8. M

Lewis's Department Store

Ha! Ha! Yeh, those back stairs went on forever didn't they Neville and of course your Mom was right!
  9. M

George Clay - Music Centre

Hiya Frank, my dad bought me an accordion from George Clay's around 1958, it was quite small compared to some, in a beautiful Red marble. I never could master it and later swapped it with a friend for a guitar (with a broken string) I often wonder how much it would have cost, I could kick myself...
  10. M

See Birmingham by Post Card

Would it be Victoria Law Courts...... https://local.upmystreet.com/picture-of-victoria-law-courts-birmingham-id-1012974.html
  11. M

Graham Street Lozells

Oo..er..thanks Sylvia, my fathers birth was registered Aston, St Mary in 1920 and his sister was born Aston 5 years later. Just had a look at my notes - the Electoral Roll in 1920 has his parents living at 7 bk 64 Graham Street in the St Pauls Ward
  12. M

Graham Street Lozells

Thanks Shortie, I think we're all on the right track!
  13. M

Graham Street Lozells

Just googled it and found it was the Victoria Works pen factory of Joseph Gillott in Graham Street, Birmingham https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Gillotts_Victoria_Works%2C_Birmingham.jpg hope that link works!
  14. M

Graham Street Lozells

I happened to pass that way, I think it was last year Lyn. Unless I'm dreamin' we passed Graham Street cos I mentioned it to by brother at the time - I'll ask him! Thanks again
  15. M

Graham Street Lozells

Thankyou!
  16. M

Graham Street Lozells

Thanks for that Astoness, I had no idea what it was called but I do intend to visit the area very soon, also hoping to take my 9 year old grandaughter to visit the Pen Room. I don't suppose anyone would have a photo of Graham Street?
  17. M

Graham Street Lozells

My dad Frank Wilson was born at 7 bk 64 Graham Street in 1920, i often wonder if this was close to the Pen Factory, would anyone know?
  18. M

grosvenor road west..b18.

Thanks for that Sylvia, must try and get a copy! By the way, I wonder if the title of this thread could be corrected to it's proper name - Grosvenor Street West??
  19. M

hipkiss family

Hiya Tom, if you would like to view Black Country Connections website, as loisand suggests, here's the link https://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/
  20. M

grosvenor road west..b18.

Forgot to mention that my Uncles parents lived at the wharf, perhaps they were caretakers or something similar? 1945 Ladywood Ward 389 239 CI Nightingale James H Grosvenor Wharf SHERBORNE STREET 1945 Ladywood Ward 389 240 CI Nightingale Selina Grosvenor Wharf SHERBORNE STREET
Back