• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. L

Edward Pugh Conviction 1881

Hi I've tried to put this in a sensible place and apologise if it's not! I found my ancestor in come court records on ancestry today and have tried to find further details in the Birmingham Daily Post. Edward Pugh, 37 years, jeweller, Arrested on '13th June 1881 - Having at Birmingham , on...
  2. L

Warwickshire Occupations records

Hi all I've been fascinated to find some of my ancestors and their neighbours in these records. They are searchable and I feel many of you will find them of interest too. Just wanted to share and possibly start a discussion about them. The jurors lists have been the most useful for me and I...
  3. L

Eye Infirmary

I thought I'd share my discovery. I was googling an ancestor ...as you do. I googled John Pugh toolmaker and found him in 1840's medical journals/ articles written by an eye surgeon at the Birmingham Eye Infirmary. Google seem to be adding some free view books to their collection. I couldn't...
  4. L

James Hughes, born c.1792, Japanner

Hi, I've just started to research my ancestor, James Hughes born abt 1792. I found him on his daughter's marriage cert, occupation Japanner. Mary Ann Hughes, spinster, Hockley married Thomas Lewis Willis, at the Parish Church , Birmingham 23 January 1848. I've found James Hughes in the 1841 and...
  5. L

MAry Road VE day

[/URL][/IMG] Who do you remember? We can ID quite a few of these, I'll save that for later. Enjoy, Lu
  6. L

Pitt family haymaking in about 1907

Firstly it's the first time i've tried this method of sharing a photo with my friends here. Apologies in advance! This photo I was able to date through the estimated ages of the two little girls in dark floral dresses ; these are my grandmother and gt aunt. I'm lucky enough to ID their mother...
  7. L

William Pitt World War 1 Veteran

My great grandfather William Pitt born 1876-7 in Birmingham served in WW1. Lived at 9 North Western Terrace, Newton Place, Hockley, B'ham in 1911 with wife Rose Anna and family. He was a carter. We have these photos of him in uniform, I was hoping that may help identify his regiment and his...
  8. L

Richard Worrall 1823 Pearl button maker, Bridge St West, Birmingham

Hi, I'm really trying to find his parents. In my quest I noticed that there are others in this family in the same trade, sometimes Worrall,Warrell or Worrell.Would this trade be mentioned in any directories in the late 1700's , early 1800's? I've purchased a marriage cert for him and his bride...
  9. L

Whitvale Patent Accessories. Collapsible Shaving Brush

Hi folks, I've done abit of googling, but not sure if i'm able to find out more about this myself. My mum tells me that her grandfather, George Fordyce Clark,born 1866, apparently invented this shaving brush. She found this newspaper cutting advertising it. The address for its purchase is...
  10. L

36A, New Street, Newtown,Aston, Birmingham

I haven't been very successful finding out where this address is. I'm assuming it was demolished in the 1960's. How long has this district been know as Newtown; I was surprised it was Newtown in 1911? This is my gt grandparents' address in 1911, John William Jessop was a pikelet and muffin...
  11. L

Jessop - Birmingham and Wednesbury pubs and small breweries, come across these?

Hi I've searched your wonderful forum in the hope I may find one of the establishments I've found my gt grandfather, John William Jessop born 1874 living and working in the censuses. I was wondering if any of you have knowledge of pubs/breweries at these addresses 1881 Morville Brewery 95...
Back