• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. I Am Nico

Our childhood toys

Again I was hooked by an advert for a toy locomotive, with a cow catcher on the front It was quite big, tin, green, red removable cow catcher, I liked removable things. My gran got it me from Woolworths. I think she enjoyed buying it. She said she asked the manager to demonstrate it imagine...
  2. I Am Nico

Our childhood toys

Dad started getting me those I had 2 Coldstream Guards on dark bay horses and 2 mounted police on black ones. These were plastic though.
  3. I Am Nico

Birmingham Newspapers 1939-1945

Unimaginable but like what is still happening now.Thank you for posting.
  4. I Am Nico

Our childhood toys

The advert for it hooked you in. Like The Battle Of The Little Big Horn hooked me in. I never worked out how to play it & the plastic pieces were really cheap. I preferred my cowboys & Indians on horse back, which ended up just the horses. I had the Native American Indian chief,( hope I am not...
  5. I Am Nico

Birmingham Newspapers 1939-1945

Now that does look like a letter box......Boris
  6. I Am Nico

Our childhood toys

I found if you stood the green man back to front he would flip in to the barrel and me mum and dad would shout mouse trap!. The cat looked on in disdain because we had woken him up. We used to play on a Sunday afternoon after dinner.
  7. I Am Nico

Our childhood toys

Blow yes, magnetic? The other side of the magic painted page.
  8. I Am Nico

Our childhood toys

A Kelly doll had no legs they were a figure on top of a weighted ball, like the budgie's toy, Nan called them Kelly dolls.
  9. I Am Nico

Our childhood toys

Having trouble editing my post the dead bit keeps appearing. No body died I can assure.
  10. I Am Nico

Our childhood toys

Some things we just don't remember or didn't have. I never knew what Subuteo was really, were they a bit like Kelly dolls.? If so I never saw the point. Never heard of new footy. I wasn't sure about Totopoly either or Cluedo. I liked Twister but as an only, it wasn't practical. I played a lot...
  11. I Am Nico

Our childhood toys

I wanted one of those little tin horses that bob up & down till I saw circus chimps on them
  12. I Am Nico

Our childhood toys

I bought something like that called craft sticks in the 60s, they were coloured pipe cleaners.
  13. I Am Nico

Our childhood toys

0 So then I wanted to be a farmer till I realised you had to kill or have animals killed.
  14. I Am Nico

Youtube Music

I thought I was going crackers I am not that cleaver. Are they after my/ the Forum details?
  15. I Am Nico

Youtube Music

Scary stuff, it looked like I was promoting a site. Thank you.
  16. I Am Nico

Our childhood toys

I loved mine I like the ratchet ticket machine the noise it made . They used to ask us what we wanted to be when we grew up, at school. it was jobs like a bus conductor, a nurse, a train driver, lorry driver, maybe what your dad did, I wanted to be a vet, me who can't stand blood & was afraid...
  17. I Am Nico

Youtube Music

Someone has taken what I posted..... (when I was posting as Nico before I had problems which the Forum rectified), and have added to it. I posted "When I was renovating my place" etc to....."in English as you probably know." Last word know is on the fourth line down. The post that carries on...
  18. I Am Nico

Advice Please

Viv said to ask on the Advice section but I can't find it . Is there one? The Alert for the BHA on my MAC email is still the same, Birmingham History Forum. My Phone has suddenly changed to [email protected] is this OK? Also for a time a yellow ball appeared mid text with little dots...
  19. I Am Nico

Street furniture

Was Cattel a famous Brummie? I ask as I worked with a Joyce Cattel. Never heard it before or since. We never saw it written down we thought it was Kettle made to sound posh, like Mrs Bucket.
Back