• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. O

Dunlop

As an ex shepherd. The only use I can think of would be to keep feet clean for a show. They would need to come off for the judging.
  2. O

Marston Green & Tile Cross

yeah' I remember it. What do you want to know? My Family farmed Bennets Wel!. Unfortunately Great Gandad ( He was the Grandy in Grandys Croft) could not contemplate buying the land when it came up for sale so the family had to move out to farm Gorse Farm in Coleshill Road, Marston Gteen.
  3. O

Not to my knowledge. We farmed the land there in those days and would hhave known anout it for sure.
  4. O

That would hsve been in the
  5. O

The tall guy at the back looks like John Musson ( my Dad)
  6. O

Yep! It is the old gravel pit where The Garden of Memory is now. The Church building aat the top is the original St Leonards I went to Sunday School there in 1949. It was an Anglican Sunday School and was run by Mrs Barnet who lived in Bickenhill Road. I believe her family were the Francis...
  7. O

Aston Village

If you imagine being in Aston Hall, looking toward the building, past the Church. That building would be quite picturesque by the riverside. Maybe it was a farmhouse, or even a barn tarted up to make it look like part of the Estate. A bit like a Foll y
  8. O

Castle Bromwich Hall

It's a Saxon fortified village.
  9. O

Marston Green Hospital

The Maternity hospital was built by Canada as Canadian War Hospital during WW2. It was constructed of hollow bricks which provide better insulation. The othe hospital was originally The Cottage Homes orphanage. Then, whem it was decided to hospiralise people with a learning disability, it...
  10. O

Marston Green Hospital

I remember her well with her Spaniel "Timothy".
  11. O

Coleshill Manor & Elizabethan gardens

You must be thinking about Coleshill Hall. It was a very substantial house that belonged to the Digby family. I was born in Marston Green in 1945. My family farmed in that area. Digbys were our Landlords. They must have sold the whole lot to Birmingham Corporation some time as by the time I was...
  12. O

Toy/Model Shops City Centre

I used to buy them. If I remember rightly they cost 3/6. This is three shillings and 6 pence. There were sheets of Balsa Wood with the necessary lines printed on, You just cut them out using those guidelines and glued them together with Balsa Glue. They had the necessary components to make them...
  13. O

Potters Hill Aston

Trying to place The Capitol. Was that where they used to host Wrestling Matches in the late 50s?
  14. O

Tile cross/ marston green / dorridge

That makes sense now. Do you remember John and Lizzie Homes who had the farm at the end of Alcott Lane? There we three farms there at the time. I can`t recall the name of that farm (Cottage farm maybe.
  15. O

There never was a 220 Chelmsley Lane. I think the Huddlestons lived in Elmdon Lane. the guy you are thinking about was involved in the Free Church in Land Lane. I can't see why the road name would change. I always imagined the Elmdon Road was so named after the Houses on the right were built in...
  16. O

That's right. The shop on the right was James Newsagent. Holders wss on the left.but you cant see it. The shop on the far right was Wrensons Grocers ( probably Co - op now.) I can't recall what the sign right of the roundabout was. I recall the houses being built on that land which.went right...
  17. O

Potters Hill Aston

Really love those photos. My Mom`s Family lived in Webster Street (7/BO/44 to be exact.) Bring back a lot memories although I was brought up out of town.
  18. O

Toy/Model Shops City Centre

I remember the place well. The planes were made by kielcraft or or something like that. They were made of balsa Wood from The Amazon Jungle (Rainforest now) There was a sheet or two of the stuff with the part needed printed on it. You cut it out with a model knife which was a bit like a...
  19. O

Gibbins Lily Violet born 9 August 1916

My Great Gandma was Johana or Johania Gibbins Married a guy named Perry. I think they cam from Handsworth if that`s any use.
  20. O

Back to Back addresses

My Family occupied one of these. As Maggie May said the street name is as any other street EG Park Park. Running off the street were series of "Yards" accessed from "Entries". running at right angles "Park Road" There were two rows of houses along the length of the yard each facing each other...
Back