• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Brummie a long time ago

Receipts

Over here, the lack of receipts has been nationally co-ordinated. It started with shops asking customers if they wanted one, now customers need to specifically ask, and shops cannot refuse. A receipt will automatically be issued if the shopping list contains an item with a notable warranty, such...
  2. Brummie a long time ago

Birmingham buses

When we were managing caravan sites several years ago now, a bus similar to the above turned up to stay for a few days. I think it may have been a bit 'newer' than the photos above, and Julie recognised it as similar to the one she went to school in as a little girl early 50s. This one was...
  3. Brummie a long time ago

Sayings, legends and customs.

Friend of mine reckons he can wear his boxers for 4 days using that method. :mask: Ta Ra familiar to me, as is toodle pip with the same meaning. Julie uses "knife to the floor, man to the door". Also don't put shoes on the table, with or without feet in them. From schooldays, suet yer sen...
  4. Brummie a long time ago

Woolworths Memories

I asked Julie about this, but she doesn't remember it happening in the branch she worked at. However, there was a record shop next door, so maybe a gentlemans agreement or something. This link may help though. http://www.woolworthsmuseum.co.uk/1950s-embassyrecords.htm Andrew.
  5. Brummie a long time ago

It was Pete’s mw0njm birthday yesterday !

Happy Birthday for yesterday. Andrew.
  6. Brummie a long time ago

Canals of Birmingham

I lived almost opposite in Fazeley Street in the 50s. Barn Street was just about opposite, and I was a few doors away. The waste bin on the post on the left edge was almost the corner with Barn Street. The lettering on the building behind me on the white panel was British Waterways at that...
  7. Brummie a long time ago

BSA, Triumph and Ariel motorbikes & trikes

I had a Bantam for a short while, not sure which 'D' model. Pale green, and I got it as a complete box of bits. I put it together, which was interesting, and triggered memories of my 2 wheel days, but didn't fancy riding it, so as soon as it moved under its own power, I put it up for sale. Chap...
  8. Brummie a long time ago

computer help

From the hardware viewpoint. Not USB, it only has one 'polarity', so can't connect computers, talk on one wire, listen on another. If you have a suitable cable, use ethernet between the computers, modern computers can listen and talk down the same cable. There is also a 'crossover' cable easily...
  9. Brummie a long time ago

Where was your first holiday?

I bet you have a combine harvester amongst your tractor collection too. (Off topic alert)! Andrew.
  10. Brummie a long time ago

Weston Super Mare is near to Birmingham. Next door is Brean, static caravans galore. When we lived down that way, we called it Birmingham-on-sea. I felt quite at home wandering around there on our occasional visits in the summer time, I was able to relax my accent, and blend in, a bit like...
  11. Brummie a long time ago

I used to live down that way, I know exactly what you mean.:laughing: Andrew.
  12. Brummie a long time ago

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2022

Same thing over here, almost word for word translation into French. Apparently widespread in Australia (but not in French) too. We need to find the person doing this and speak sharply to them :mad: Happy Christmas to everyone. Andrew.
  13. Brummie a long time ago

AVERY SCALES HISTORY

I find it very interesting to look at the differences, particularly in the spelling, between the excerpts. In 1794, and 1806, the lower case s is written as lower case f, with S reserved for upper case. his was quite normal at the time, although the interchangeability of s and f seemed less...
  14. Brummie a long time ago

computer help

Apparently, if you stare down the end of the fibre, the web sites appear directly in your brain, no computer required.:imp: Andrew.
  15. Brummie a long time ago

Hay mills area

Thanks. I do remember now the shop extending onto the pavement. The mention of periscope sights has triggered another memory from that place that had been buried. I never had one, but I can remember the feel of them, and looking through and seeing the slightly different view. At the police...
  16. Brummie a long time ago

Hay mills area

Thanks. The name is a total blank, but now you have given me a pin to stick into Google street view and that is very much appreciated. Andrew.
  17. Brummie a long time ago

Hay mills area

I remember a government surplus place somewhere on the main road in Hay Mills. I used to go there a lot in early days, there was a lot of stuff that was magical to me at that age but there has been nothing top up the memory and it has faded. I remember it as being on the left if Birmingham was...
  18. Brummie a long time ago

computer help

Some ISPs have been known to recognise the speed check data type, or the Internet address, and to slightly prioritise the connection while it is taking place, thus giving an optimistic result, which looks good for them. When I first connected, over the phone line, I had a cheap 'starter' rate...
  19. Brummie a long time ago

computer help

Probably DisplayPort. https://www.displayport.org/ Andrew.
  20. Brummie a long time ago

computer help

It is a bubbling cauldron of takeovers, but the French administration is a major shareholder. Andrew.
Back