• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. R

The Australian Bar

Travelled up regularly with a few of us from Northampton about 1980/81, always went to the Australian Bar before heading over to the Rum Runner. Loved the place. Happy days, lovely, lovely Brummie girls.
  2. R

the cedar club

Travelled up from Northampton in 1980 in the back of a windowless rear van to see the Stray Cats. Think it was a Thursday night. A great gig and night. Really special small venue. Loved it.
  3. R

Aston Swimming Club Water Polo

Thank you very much for that, Philip. Ralph.
  4. R

Rover Racing Cyclist's Club

Brilliant, I sold this very postcard to a cycling enthusiast earlier this year.
  5. R

All great links for the area. Holte Hotel behind the Holte End at Villa Park.
  6. R

The red squirrel was on the emblem of Aston Manor as explained here from Wikipedia. The squirrel is the crest of the arms of Aston Manor and is a rebus (the owners of Aston Manor were the Holte family and a squirrel's nest is called a holt). Because of this ancient connection between the...
  7. R

On doing a bit of digging I found out Ansells didn’t use the squirrel logo till the thirties when they bought another Aston brewery out, Holts. Holts logo was the red squirrel pre 1900’s onwards from what I can see. So more likely Holts could have helped with sponsorship of the club and pool. Or...
  8. R

That’s a great find, thank you.
  9. R

Ah, that's a good point. They could well have sponsored them. Thank you. Did the photos come through clear?
  10. R

I thought you might like to see these fabulous Silver hallmarked Aston Swimming Club swimming and water polo medals I picked up recently. Looking to sell them on ebay once I find more information on them. They really are beauties. i wonder what the significance of the squirrel was? Ralph.
  11. R

Rover Racing Cyclist's Club

These photos may be of interest to you. letter is from The Rover RCC to Mrs Hodgetts. Mrs Hodgetts, I believe, was the wife of Dennis who was the son of the Aston Villa Player Dennis Hodgetts Snr that played many times for Villa including their very first League game. The other photo shows a...
  12. R

Dennis Hodgetts Snr & Jnr Aston Villa

Thank you so much, that will be such a help in the future. The photos show the Birmingham cycling team and Dennis Hodgett Jnr on his bike as well as in his soldiers uniform. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ralph
  13. R

Hi Janice, thank you very much for your reply, I shall try again tomorrow. Regards. Ralph.
  14. R

Hi PJMBurns, thank you. I tried to enter a couple more photos but wasn’t able to. Looking forward to seeing the paper cuttings if you manage it.
  15. R

Hi Alberta, thank you very much. I tried up loading two more photos but kept being told they are too large. Is it just one photo per thread? Regards. Ralph.
  16. R

Hi, Could anyone help me identify the chap in the first photo sat on the bench please? I believe it to be Dennis Hodgetts, who played in Villa's first League game, in his later years. The other photos are of Dennis's son, also Dennis, who was a local Birmingham Cyclist. Does anyone have or know...
Back