• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. B

Rogers, Edward a coalman

Oh…you are Jane’s son! My sister and myself used to meet up with Jane in our teens and go dancing at Victor Sylvester dance studio on Saturday mornings in Birmingham. we were good friends. She was my cousin. I often think about Jane. We lost touch in our late teens but kept in touch with what...
  2. B

Rogers, Edward a coalman

Great photos of GE Rogers coal merchants. I used to visit him at the coal yard. Great memories. Thank you!
  3. B

Rogers, Edward a coalman

Yes we are related. Edward and Martha were my grandparents. I remember visiting their house quite often with my mother. My mother was their eldest daughter, Dorothy. I am her daughter. Your grandad was my uncle Ted, married to Joan. He used to work in the coal yard too. Your dad was my cousin, I...
  4. B

Rogers, Edward a coalman

Does anybody remember my grandad. Edward Rogers. He used to be a Coalman.Rogers and son. Think it was in Edward Road, Balsall Heath. He was a really hard working man. He used to have a big tin bath in his kitchen where he used to scrub the coal from himself,every night. I used to visit his coal...
  5. B

Rag Market

I used to remember Tom who used to sell material. It was near the crockery in a good location. My mom and dad had a second hand clothes stall next to him. I used to go and help in late 50,s and 60’s. Dorothy and Donald. My uncle used to be there too Roy and Marie.
  6. B

Rag Market

I remember rag market. My parents had a stall there near the crockery man. I used to go in the 50’s and 60’s. I loved helping out on the stall. They had a second hand clothes stall. It was freezing in the winter and my father used to light a paraffin stove to keep warm. I loved the atmosphere...
  7. B

Coalman

Rogers the coal man was my grandad. I remember him covered in coal dust every night and had to be scrubbed in the bath. I remember the coal yard and the big scales and he used to swing the coal sacks on his back. He was a hard worker. He started to sell bundles of wood as a youngster and then...
Back