• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. R

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Thank you PJM those photos will work fine as I recognized them immediately; now if you asked me what I had for dinner last night I could not remember but my memory from 70+years ago is firing on all cylinders. Mr. Shillito brings back memories on one occasion painful ones!! Robin
  2. R

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Sorry I did not realize that it would be taken as an AD as it was not meant to be. I am now 80 and my family wants to know more about my growing up years and this is a way of doing it. Robin
  3. R

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

I have looked at all of the photos you have posted of the Sir Josiah Mason Orphanage and I am looking for a photo of the school as it was from 1948-1953 when I was a day student, prior to the new school Yenton Primary??? being built at the front of the original buildings. I am writing a book on...
  4. R

Police Horses

I am afraid that my brother, Ian who is 7 years younger than I [Austin Healy] is not correct as in 1941 Dad was in Canada with the RAF and did not become a Mounted Policeman until later 1946. I have attached a photo of Reg Searle take outside the Old Duke Street Police station sitting on Nigger...
  5. R

Handsworth Grammar School 1950--1960

Hi Lady Penelope; I remember David Wooley from my years at HGS 1952-1958 so he should be on the 2 photos that are posted by 'Enzothebaker', David was one year ahead of me as I was born in April of 1941.
  6. R

Court Farm Primary Tedbury Crescent School Erdington

Hi Chrissyp. Sorry to have remembered polio but when I was 3-4? my mother was worried about me being lethargic and sent for Dr. Butler; his preliminary prognosis was a strong suspicion of polio and he took some blood from me. It came back with some evidence of polio, but many weeks later after...
  7. R

Truly shocked by the news of Anthony's passing so early in life. My wife and I on a visit to check on Mum were in Beatties in Sutton when I heard someone asking if I was Robin Searle? turned out to be Frankie Griffiths. He told us that Tony had left Kay and the kids and was living with an 'older...
  8. R

Hi Jennifer, Yes I remember all three of you. Yes my Dad was a Mounted Policeman and he did that for 35 years before retiring, he passed away in 1991, Mum ]Ruby] lived at 362 for a total of 74 years, until I had to move her into first a seniors residence then a nursing home, she passed away in...
  9. R

Aston Unity Cricket Club from 1950-1968

My kids now that I am 80, have requested that I write about my years growing up when I lived on Court Lane Erdington, using; www.storywise.com and this week's question is "What sports teams did you support growing up? I have found a great amount of material regarding Aston Villa Football Club...
  10. R

Doctors

Your reply Johnny brought back a memory of both Drs Butler and an associate Dr 'Con' and the story of my boil on my stomach. In 1954 I had a boil on my stomach at my belt line and Dr. Butler gave me the black tar treatment X2 then on the third go-around he decided to lance it. Here I digest in...
  11. R

I am writing a book of my life through Storyworth.com and this week's question is how did you get to school?. Well, my first school was Tedbury Crescent 1946-1948 and I was wondering if anyone has access to photos of the school itself that were taken in 1940-the 50s. If so please send me a link.
  12. R

Air raid shelters

I can remember when I was almost 4 kneeling on a chair in the front room watching the bombers both going to Germany and returning at the same time on 'the thousand bombers a night' raids. Castle Bromwich had twin runways, one used for take-off and the other for landing. According to my Mum, I...
  13. R

I remember the caning from Joe,I had a grocery delivery boy job on Friday evening and Saturdays at Wrensons at Beggars Bush. If I had a detention to serve I elected to receive 6 of the best from Joe instead I even wore my gym shorts under my regular trousers to mitigate the discomfort somewhat...
  14. R

Officer Training Corps. OCT Michael I remember you and recognized your arrowed photo in the School photo. My last name is Searle. My first woodworking build was a tray with curved matching handles hollowed out for fingers. When my Mum died aged 97 in 2016 three years before that, I sold her...
  15. R

I am writing a book using; www.storywise.com and answering a question on my High School which of course was Handsworth Grammar School 1952-58. I feel that I should include photos of when in the HGS OTC I wore an air-force uniform on Monday and Fridays [I think] and I would love to copy any...
  16. R

Susan Gray and her brother Barry have both passed away a few years ago. Their cousin Linda Gray lived two door up from me at 366 and we have maintained our friendship still, Linda did not go to Tedbury Crescent her parents choosing Boldmere instead. I am three days short of my 80th and reside...
  17. R

Steelhouse lane

My Dad was a mounted policeman for 30 years and often would patrol out of Steelhouse Lane police station, not Dad's horse's favourite station, due to the cobbled streets in that area, especially when wet. Dad's horse Trigger slipped and went down with Dad's styrup trapped between the horse and...
  18. R

Steelhouse lane

My Dad was a mounted policeman for 30 years and often would patrol out of Steelhouse Lane police station, not Dad's horse's favourite station, due to the cobbled streets in that area, especially when wet. Dad's horse Trigger slipped and went down with Dad's styrup trapped between the horse and...
  19. R

Hi Bob, I think you will find that the shop was owned by the Moor family, it was the newsagents next door that was owned by the Maddock family. He started a weekly payment schedule when purchasing items that he was selling as he sold me my first transistor radio and divided the cost by 10 and...
Back