• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Unity Cricket Club from 1950-1968

RobinCanada

knowlegable brummie
My kids now that I am 80, have requested that I write about my years growing up when I lived on Court Lane Erdington, using; www.storywise.com and this week's question is "What sports teams did you support growing up?
I have found a great amount of material regarding Aston Villa Football Club, but cannot find much on Aston Unity Cricket Club? My parents' house on Court Lane Erdington was right across the road from the laneway leading to the Aston Unity playing field, and I for about 2-3 years used the walk-behind mechanical mower to cut the grass of the grounds, but not the pitch itself. I also became the team record keeper and as I sat in the Score box I was also given the job of altering the numbers on display to the spectators sitting around the field. My only reward was to have afternoon tea with the players of each team in the Club House.
I have tried to find old photos of the cricket grounds at that time or club history for that era?

Can anyone help me and provide any photos anyone may have or sites where I can find what I am looking for.???

Have you tried the newspapers? There's lots of mentions in the Sports Argus etc and though most are probably scorecards, there's a chance there could be a picture or two.

Looked for anything illustrated but came up with very little. The pictures that were printed are of very poor quality.

There is a mention in the Birmingham Gazette of June 1956 of the scorer being asked to play at N°10 as they were a man short against Stourbridge. John Spencer made 10 not out.

My kids now that I am 80, have requested that I write about my years growing up when I lived on Court Lane Erdington, using; www.storywise.com and this week's question is "What sports teams did you support growing up?
I have found a great amount of material regarding Aston Villa Football Club, but cannot find much on Aston Unity Cricket Club? My parents' house on Court Lane Erdington was right across the road from the laneway leading to the Aston Unity playing field, and I for about 2-3 years used the walk-behind mechanical mower to cut the grass of the grounds, but not the pitch itself. I also became the team record keeper and as I sat in the Score box I was also given the job of altering the numbers on display to the spectators sitting around the field. My only reward was to have afternoon tea with the players of each team in the Club House.
I have tried to find old photos of the cricket grounds at that time or club history for that era?

Can anyone help me and provide any photos anyone may have or sites where I can find what I am looking for.???
Robin

What date was this. Dad and I lived further up Court Lane and every Saturday in summer when they played at home, we were down there. We also went to the opponents grounds when they were away. One of the professionals I remember was Dick Pollard, trying to remember some of the others.
Bob

Robin

What date was this. Dad and I lived further up Court Lane and every Saturday in summer when they played at home, we were down there. We also went to the opponents grounds when they were away. One of the professionals I remember was Dick Pollard, trying to remember some of the others.
Bob
I joined Aston unity as a player in 1951 and played at Hillcourt until1960 and have many fon memories.I played in both first and 2nd.teams.First team captains were Jack Hossell and Rex Wallbank.David White who later played for Hampshire and England was a member of the team ,he was apace bowler and I wicket kept to him on many occasions,he was only 16-17yrs.at the time and was pretty fast even at that age.Other members of team were John Kennedy who had couple of seasons later with Warwickshire,Ian King,Bob Furley,Norman Ingram was 2nd. team captain.My late father in law AE.Morgan was a lifetime member and on the commitee,he also was President of B’ham league at one time.The ground was called Hillcourt because it was leased to club by a member ‘Titch’ Hill.The ground was ultimately sold for building .The club still exists and they have a ground In Sutton area I believe but have not been a member of B’ham league for many years.Hope you find this of some interest. Luciano

Back