• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. D

Anyone recognise this building?

Unfortunately I don't recognise the building but the inscription over the archway reads: "Public Lighting Depot". I wonder if the building was in Summer Lane, where there was an early power station which later became the Midlands Electricity Board Workshops? Maybe this building formed part of...
  2. D

Sparkhill Commercial School

Thanks for responding, Noodles. I'll see what the internet shows up. I'm not sure where the school was located - I always had the impression that it was on Warwick Road, as was Yardley Grammar, but further down towards Stratford Road. I seem to remember going past it on the bus when on the way...
  3. D

Sparkhill Commercial School

I wonder if anyone remembers my older brother, Michael Peach who I believe was a pupil at Sparkhill Commercial School. We both attended Bierton Road Junior School until we were 11. My brother is about 7 years older than me and I started at Yardley Grammar School in September 1954 so my brother...
  4. D

Prefabs in Queens Road, Yardley

Thanks for posting those documents localmike. Seems that they were demolished rather later than I thought. After I had moved to Atherstone in 1984 in fact. Regards datadave
  5. D

Yes I do. His name was John William Woodhams known as 'Jack'. He was a friend of my paternal aunts. If memory serves, I believe he served as a Birmingham Councillor at some point
  6. D

That photograph has real interest for me, old mohawk. It clearly shows the park where we used to play football as kids and Clements Road where I used to live, leading off Hob Moor Road in the centre of the picture, off diagonally to the left. I believe it would be possible to identify the house...
  7. D

Yes I do, actually although he has been dead for many years. His name was: John William Woodhams, usually known as 'Jack'. If my memory serves, he served as a Birmingham councillor at some point in his career although I could be wrong.
  8. D

I remember the Ring o' Bells well! One of the first pubs I went to when I was old enough. Others included the Blakesley, at the corner of Blakesey and Clements Road, the Richmond, Bordesley Green, the Yew Tree; of course the Swan, Coventry Road and the Bull, Coventry Road ?Small Heath.
  9. D

If my memory serves me correctly, If my memory serves me correctly, the 'ground' with the pavilion bordered by Queens and Sedgemere Roads belonged to the 'City Officials Sports Club', individuals who worked for the City of Birmingham Corporation. Two of my maternal uncles played rugby there for...
  10. D

Thanks for your response Mikejee. The house numbers appear to be 102 to 140. That narrows the field and eliminates one potential address I had. You may be right about the prefabs in Sedgemere Road, Spargone. I can't be sure from memory although I passed that way regularly regularly, both to my...
  11. D

Many thanks for that, Spargone. That is certainly the site of the prefabs. If I remember, there were also prefabs in Hobs Moor Road, roughly opposite to Clements Road where I lived. They also backed onto a park - can't remember what it was called - we used to just call it 'The Rec'. The...
  12. D

As a child I remember being taken to visit a friend of my aunt's who lived in a prefab on Queens Road, Yardley B26. This row of prefabs backed on to what we called 'Yardley Park'. I would imagine that these prefabs were removed many years ago and new houses built. Does anyone know when they were...
Back