• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. D

Yenton Junior School

Gordon Haines, Gordon Nicholson, Nigel Bailey, Brinton Helliwell ...
  2. D

Yenton Junior School

I went to both the infant and junior sections, from '63 to '68. Remember the orphanage being knocked down - immediately behind the playground. There was a spooky house next door to the main entrance, we used to scare each other with stories of ghostly faces looking out of the window. Our...
  3. D

Sutton Road Erdington

According to Google Streetview (you can access older images by clicking the little "clock" image at top-left) he was still there (a modern version anyway) in May 2016 but had been erased to all but a shadow by March 2017. I always looked out for him from the top deck of a No.64 on the way...
  4. D

Lyndhurst Estate

I lived on Sutton Road opposite the estate, my bedroom window facing the tower blocks. If I stood in exactly the right place I was convinced there was a view of about 5' of railway line in the distance. With the windows open you could hear the train and something flickered as a train went by...
  5. D

Josiah Mason's Orphanage

Only joined this group today, hence the long hiatus after previous post! I was at Yenton school when the orphanage was demolished. The building backed onto our playground and I remember break times spent watching a large wrecking ball being used to bring down big chunks of masonry, seemingly...
Back