• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. S

Aston Union Workhouse

I've just discovered that my Grandmother gave birth to twins, in March 1910, at number 1 Union Road, Erdington. The name of the person who registered the birth was William C Salmon who on 1911 census is shown as 'Head' of Aston Union Workhouse. This puzzles me a bit as she was married and I...
  2. S

Mary Street, Balsall Heath. 1896

Thank you that's brilliant.
  3. S

Henley Street/South Road, Sparkbrook

Thank you anyway. I think my aunt must have been much older than you and left Oakley Road long before you arrived. It's difficult to follow up on her notes now that she is no longer with us to answer questions.
  4. S

Baker & Sons, Baker Brothers or HH Baker Brassfounders

Thank you that is very helpful.
  5. S

Deritend Ex Servicemens Club

Does anyone know where this club used to be. apparently it was a regular haunt of my Grandfather in the 1920s and 30s
  6. S

Baker & Sons, Baker Brothers or HH Baker Brassfounders

My Great Grandfather Thomas Baker had a brass foundry on Cheapside founded about 1880. When his sons came of age it became Baker & Sons. After his death it became Baker Brothers and later the business was taken on by my Grandfather Herbert Henry Baker. From Cheapside he moved to 152 Mary St...
  7. S

Upper Highgate School for Girls

I went to primary school, Main Street annexe (part of Chandos Road school) with your sisters Lorna and Jennifer. Lorna was a friend if mine, we were in the same class and played together after school. I have a photo of our class taken when we were about seven or eight I think. I was Susan Hutton...
  8. S

Mary Street, Balsall Heath. 1896

I'm new to the site and I too am researching my family history. I know that my mother's family lived at 152 Mary Street from about 1936. My Grandad had a small brass founding business at the rear of the house. His name was Herbert Henry Baker. This map doesn't go far enough down Mary Street to...
  9. S

Henley Street/South Road, Sparkbrook

I've recently come across some notes that my aunt wrote about her life. I have similar ones that my mother wrote too. They were both born at 11 Malvern Terrace, Henly Street. My aunt Winnifred Baker went to Oakley Road school and my Grandad's local was the Woodman pub. They later moved to Bolton...
Back