• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. LizzieBee

Booth map equivalents in Birmingham

Found this whilst hunting online. https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/1238/mapping_birminghams_historic_landscape_brochure.pdf It seems to be a fairly interesting tool created between Historic England and BCC aimed at collating, categorising and overlaying map data with other...
  2. LizzieBee

Booth map equivalents in Birmingham

Hello fabulous map fiends! As I have plunged myself headfirst into my family’s roots I have become more and more fascinated by mapping and what it can tell us about the social history of the streets that it represents. To the best of anyone’s knowledge, are there any sources in existence that...
  3. LizzieBee

My mysterious Uncle Will Pearson

How interesting. It’s a model that I know is used now: a core team of professionals that can deliver a performance going on tour, using bit part local talent for peripheral roles. Or maybe he was just a stand-in. Who knows! (The model of free or low paid local talent works particularly well...
  4. LizzieBee

I found that too. It matches with him being a trainee postal clerk in 1911, still living with his parents. Postal clerk by day, occasional comedy act by night... but not the story of theatres and nightclubs that I was spun.
  5. LizzieBee

That looks remarkably likely! Where did you find it? :heart_eyes:
  6. LizzieBee

I'm hoping that I can tap into some collective memories of Birmingham between and after the wars. The family story goes that my grandfather, Fred Pearson (b.1908 in Heanage Street to Howard and Lily) had an uncle Will who went on run nightclubs (or possibly working mens clubs) in Birmingham for...
  7. LizzieBee

Back to Back addresses

I think the retention of the Inge Street Back to Backs by the National Trust, (however sanitised and prettified they are accused of being) is incredibly valuable. I was explaining to my Canadian step-mum on Sunday how the court system worked, why they were called back to backs, why they were...
  8. LizzieBee

Back to Back addresses

Thank you MikeJee! Perhaps I'm a just closet nerd, but I find detailed explanations from people who have acquired knowledge in a specific area to be really, really fascinating, so I can assure you did not "go on" and I was very interested indeed. 'History' is not black and white, it is a...
  9. LizzieBee

Back to Back addresses

This really interests me Mikejee, how often do street numberings change around? And what prompts them?? I’m assuming (this being the case) that trying to work out where any given house was at any given time becomes a question of hard earned knowledge and experience rather than there being a...
  10. LizzieBee

Back to Back addresses

Thank you so, so, so much!!! I apologise for being a slow in responding, we’ve had a challenging family weekend and I had to Be Mummy, a lot. I did get to share all the work I’d done on his mom’s side of the family around Lyndon End and then Minworth with my Dad though, which was lovely. Back to...
  11. LizzieBee

Back to Back addresses

(Unrelated, but it makes me smile that I'm very sweetly labelled a 'Brummie Babby', because despite being born in Good Hope to a very Brummie Daddy I was raised just outside Kingswinford, which would make me a Black Country Babby... an me bloke ay no Brummie at all! He had to learn to slow down...
  12. LizzieBee

Back to Back addresses

I recognise that it's a little ridiculous, but I confess I'm quite relieved to see that by the turn of the century they are out of the back to back housing and into terraced. There's nothing to say that the quality of the housing they'd moved into was any better than the Heanage Street facing...
  13. LizzieBee

Back to Back addresses

I've gone back into the server and checked the 1871 addresses listed either side of my Henry Pearson's entry, and you're right, the writing is awful! However it does appear to be a court house, in a court of 10, accessed between numbers 43 and 44 Vauxhall Road. The oldest map that I've been able...
  14. LizzieBee

Back to Back addresses

Nope! Found them both now, and they're still in Duddeston. :rolleyes: Though Dollman Street does appear to be terraced housing with gardens rather than Back to Backs with courts...
  15. LizzieBee

Back to Back addresses

By 1901 they appear to have moved east I think towards Alum Rock, where I have addresses of 35 Lupin Street and 2 Dollman Street, neither of which I have got as far as finding yet... I have a suspicion that neither exist in their original form so I'm searching for clues and old street maps...
  16. LizzieBee

Back to Back addresses

Wow!! Thank you! I've got 2 that refer to courts: 1861 census, 5 Court, 2, Potter Street and 1871 census 7 Court, 6 ho, Vauxhall Street. They then move to Heanage Street and I have direct street addresses for them. Does that mean that the house simply faced the road instead of the court? In...
  17. LizzieBee

Back to Back addresses

Hello BHF friends, I'm a relatively inexperienced family history researcher and a newbee here on BHF... I'm finding it very difficult to work out how to locate my ancestors' living accommodation from census data in Aston in the 19th C. I've familiarised myself with the basics of back to back...
Back