• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My mysterious Uncle Will Pearson

LizzieBee

proper brummie kid
I'm hoping that I can tap into some collective memories of Birmingham between and after the wars. The family story goes that my grandfather, Fred Pearson (b.1908 in Heanage Street to Howard and Lily) had an uncle Will who went on run nightclubs (or possibly working mens clubs) in Birmingham for several decades. I have a very dapper studio photo of a gentleman in black tie and tails dated 1930 and signed from "Uncle Will" but that is practically all I have to go on. It's a punt, but since it's roughly the right generation and I know he existed I'm wondering if it could be Fred's paternal uncle Henry William Pearson (b.1892 in Godwin Street to Henry and Julia) who married Elsie Clarke at St. George's in 1915, but that really is a bit of a shot in the dark.

Does anyone have any memories of a theatrical Will Pearson who owned or ran clubs? Any hints or advice welcomed.

Attachments

• Uncle Bill 1930.jpg
    Uncle Bill 1930.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Uncle Bill 1930 2.jpg
    Uncle Bill 1930 2.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
well pedro stands a very good chance..the name and date fits in coupled with the photos that lizzie has posted..if you find anymore would love to see them..thanks

lyn

In 1939 Henry William Pearson and wife Elsie are living in Solihull he is a Postal Clerk, also daughter Irene born 1917.

Pontoon Ltd looks like a show that tours the country with the main star being a Lancashire comedian named Teddy White. However other mentions of the show do not include Will Pearson.

Maybe he only took part in the local show. The review appearered in the Birmingham Gazette, but can’t find any further mention.

In 1939 Henry William Pearson and wife Elsie are living in Solihull he is a Postal Clerk, also daughter Irene born 1917.
I found that too. It matches with him being a trainee postal clerk in 1911, still living with his parents. Postal clerk by day, occasional comedy act by night... but not the story of theatres and nightclubs that I was spun.

[...] other mentions of the show do not include Will Pearson.

Maybe he only took part in the local show. The review appearered in the Birmingham Gazette, but can’t find any further mention.
How interesting. It’s a model that I know is used now: a core team of professionals that can deliver a performance going on tour, using bit part local talent for peripheral roles. Or maybe he was just a stand-in. Who knows!

(The model of free or low paid local talent works particularly well with kids‘ parts, where it pulls in every one of their mums, dads, grannies, neighbours and third aunts four times removed! Pull in a kids choir and you have it made... ;))

Last edited:
Back