• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. F

Windsor Ice Rink, Smethwick

When the Windsor Theatre closed, it became an ice rink. I used to go there to skate (more speed skating than Torville and Dean). We were even allowed to go there on sports afternoon -- much better than football or cricket. By the way, a much better speed skater than I ever was was one of...
  2. F

Girls Friendly Society

My grandmother was a member of the Girls Friendly Society when she worked at Baxters: https://www.scholarshome.org.uk/ancestry/gen/smart_GFS.html Does anyone have any information about what they did in those days (1913-1916)? Mike
  3. F

St Marks, Londonderry, Smethwick

was built in the 1930s. I have some pictures of it -- including a collectin of ones by my father from 1557 to 1961: https://www.scholarshome.org.uk/FWB/stmarks/index.html one or two earlier, and a few later, too. Mike
  4. F

Birmingham Railway and Carriage Works (BRCW); employee lists

This was a major employer in the area. I remember it turning out new diesel locos (one a week) in the late 50s and early 1960s -- an exciting thing to me as a trainspotter. I saw a new one every time I went up the 'baggies' (the factory was near Hawthorns Halt, a station used for football...
  5. F

Workhouse infirmary records

Does anyone know if the admission records for the workhouses and infirmaries are available anywhere? A William Busby is listed as having died in the Workhouse infirmary, Selly Oak 17th October 1905. I have the death certificate. However, I do not know of a way if it is the William Busby who...
  6. F

Busby William (son of Augustine): possible case of bigamy?

In researching my mother's ancestors, I have struggled to trace my great-grandfather William Busby. I know he was in Birmingham from 1888, and that he reported his father as being deceased Augustine. He reported he was born on board ship in the Irish Sea around 1840. I am struggling to resolve...
Back