• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Workhouse infirmary records

Findwilliam

proper brummie kid
Does anyone know if the admission records for the workhouses and infirmaries are available anywhere?

A William Busby is listed as having died in the Workhouse infirmary, Selly Oak 17th October 1905. I have the death certificate. However, I do not know of a way if it is the William Busby who was my great grandfather, as no home address is shown. It just shows his age (70) and name. The informant is just shown as "E J Evans Occupier, Workhouse Infirmary". So I cannot match it up with my family records.

Many thanks

Mike

Hi Mike.

The Birmingham Reference Library Archives department hold some records of the Birmingham workhouses. However the records are hit and miss. Your best bet is to phone the library (archives department) and make some enquiries.

Steve

Hi

My grandfathers sister was born at Birmingham Workhouse Infirmary, although I don't think my gt grandmother was an inmate, however the birth certificate doesn't show any home address and this was her second child as a 20 year old unmarried mother! I've checked out the https://www.workhouses.org.uk site but it doesn't mention whether there were any catchment areas to individual workhouse infirmaries and wondered whether anyone knew if catchments existed back in 1905.

Anne

My father James Edmunds-Littleford (Jim), born 1919, was in a workhouse as an infant before being going to Shenley Fields Children's home and Royal School for the Deaf. After this, at about 16, he went to a working Home for boys in Birminham then went to a college in Manchester studying Baking and Confectionary. I believe this was a difficult life but my dad was always grateful for his chance and enjoyed his life with many successes including meeting my mom and having two lovely children (me included) perhaps he was one of the lucky one's. It is interesting that he went to his deaf club - Institute for the Deaf in Granville Street, Birmingham, every Saturday night (followed by an hour in the Granville pub now a theme pub O'Neil's ?) cormer of Granville Street and Broad Street. He did this from 18 (college time aside) to 83 when he died after his last night at the deaf club which had then been moved to Ladywood.

Back