• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. B

Severn valley railway.

Hi all Severn Valley supporters. Just to say there is a post card fair at Kidderminster Railway Museum on Saturday 6th August. Doors open at 10am with free admission!! I will have a table there and will be selling some of my photographs used in my book 'Arley, A Glimpse of the Past'. They will...
  2. B

Where is this

Bernie. Thanks for image. You can certainly see it is the same structures above the shops. Unmistakeable. Cheers Barrie
  3. B

Where is this

Hi Jill Although Shirley is not my area of interest it would be nice to compare the post card view to what is there today if you have time. Regards Barrie
  4. B

Where is this

Thanks to everyone who helped to solve this mystery, especially Guilbert. I was sold this post card at the week-end as being King's Heath although the seller did say he would have the card back if the location was not correct. I have just returned from Birmingham Ref Library having checked the...
  5. B

Cake shop and Bakery, Kings Heath

WHSmith shop in Union Street now have 'From King's Heath to the Country' Volume 2. Barrie
  6. B

I am sorry I have not got back to you. i have been rather busy of late and must have missed a few messages. However, the book is currently only on sale at W H Smith King's Heath and Ambleside Garden Centre at Earlswood. W H Smith in Union Street Birmingham say they are not taking any new books...
  7. B

King's Heath to the Country Vol 2 is due from the printers week commencing 6th December and will be available from WHSmith in King's Heath along with the other outlets in Earlswood and in Birmingham. It can also be posted by me to any part of the world. A lot of folk have sent me fresh new...
  8. B

Severn valley railway.

Thank you Jean for the good news about Neville. Lets hope he follows his special diet! Barrie
  9. B

Severn valley railway.

My next (and last!) book is in preparation entitled King's Heath to the Country (Vol 2) and is due out, hopefully before Christmas. I need to put my feet up a bit now and read a few books myself as I am now 72. I am sorry to hear about Neville, I hope he is ok. Would like to hear if you can find...
  10. B

Severn valley railway.

The name of my book is 'Arley, A Glimpse of the Past' Published by KRM Publishing at Kidderminster Railway Museum. It was on sale at Arley Post Office and the Arboretum if they have any left. Also at Bewdley Museum Tourist Information Centre and Bewdley Books. In Kidderminster it is available at...
  11. B

Hello John. Glad you enjoyed the book. There is a second volume coming out before Christmas as I have received a lot more photographs from readers which has made it possible. It will be the same format to complement the first edition. Barrie
  12. B

Severn valley railway.

Hi Jean I know Cynthia and Neville, they have the book as does Sandra at the Harbour. Let me know when you are next down and I will try to meet you and bring a copy if you can't get hold of one. Barrie
  13. B

Severn valley railway.

I have seen the Arley Ferry display which brings back memories. Have you seen my book Arley, a glimpse of the past' which is also available at Bewdley Museum, The Arboretum and at Arley Station. It has quite a lot about Arley Ferry and the Harbour Inn. Barrie
  14. B

Severn valley railway.

Thanks Bill. I am off the the Harbour tomorrow. Many thanks. Barrie
  15. B

Severn valley railway.

Hi Lloyd I am in the process of getting another book published on Arley (including views from Button Oak to Shatterford) I have previously had one published entitled 'The Severn Valley Railway at Arley' which is now out of print. Your photograph of the ferry is quite rare as most of the pictures...
  16. B

Hi John Thanks for your message. If you would like to contact me BY P.M. I will look forward to getting a copy to you. There is a picture in the book of a Pharmacy shop at 50 High Street which was near to where you suggested. The name on the shop front was T (or J) H Foden.. The staff are...
  17. B

Hello John I have produced a book entitled From King's Heath to the Country, 152 pages of stunning old photographs showing King's Heath to the Maypole and Yardley Wood and Happy Valley. There are photographs of the paper shop (Darlastons) and cake shop (Bailey's) also a couple showing Lashfords...
Back