• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Welshnwobbly

WELSH CAPEL OUTSIDE PUB

MANY thanks to everyone who hosted the social meet-up at the Bull pub on Saturday. I am enjoying reading Birmingham The Sinister Side, my raffle prize. I noticed the Welsh language on the sign outside the church directly opposite the pub (picture attached) when I went out for a breather and a...
  2. Welshnwobbly

EASTER MEET UP DIRECTIONS

I am travelling from Newport, South Wales, to attend the Easter Meet-Up on Saturday April 8, 2023. I do not know Birmingham very well and will be relying on buses on the day. If anybody else is going and they can offer me directions or a lift from the city centre I would be very grateful...
  3. Welshnwobbly

FAIR COP AND ROBBER?

My ancestor Joseph Gibbs appears to have been examined to join Midlands police in 1840 and later has two convictions for larceny at criminal court. I cannot tell if the certificate (attached) meant that he definitely joined the cops or was just passed fit. I note that he is described as "single"...
  4. Welshnwobbly

Gibbs, Joseph. At Debtor's Prison

My great, great grandfather Joseph Gibbs, a brass founder, grocer and provisions dealer, of 136 Lawley Street, Birmingham, had to appear as insolvent on November 13, 1852, at 10am at the County Court of Warwickshire after some years earlier being imprisoned for six months for stealing paper...
  5. Welshnwobbly

ALCESTER UNION WORKHOUSE

Maria Gibbs, nee Freeth, died at this workhouse aged 47 in 1864 yet she was living with her husband "labourer in general" Joseph Gibbs at 6 Victoria Grove, between Villa Street and Wellesley Street, Aston, in 1861 with sons, William, 17, labourer; John, 13, labourer; and Joseph, 10, scholar...
  6. Welshnwobbly

Gibbs Ladywood publican research

22/05/19 Hi, My paternal great/great grandfather William Henry Gibbs was first a chandelier/lamp maker then a publican in Ladywood, Birmingham, living with his family in 1871 at Bishopsgate Street Court, then in 1881 Court 4 House, Betholem Row, then in 1891 Stoke Street. He became landlord...
  7. Welshnwobbly

GARDENERS ARMS, 58 BROWNING STREET, LADYWOOD

MY paternal great great grandfather William Gibbs was a publican at 58 Browning Street, Ladywood, Birmingham, in 1911 Census and his son Herbert was a barman. The pub was the Gardeners Arms. I am wondering if number 58 actually was a pub and my ancestors lived above it? I'd be interested in any...
Back