• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. S

Pubs Of The Past

Hi I wonder if you have found the pics of the gate in booth st handsworth we had our wedding reception there in 1967 I think the landlords at the time were the Daniels thanks
  2. S

Brain family Aston 1920

my husband is a member of the reeves family his moms maiden name was ellen Elizabeth brain - they lived on Lichfield road aston
  3. S

Soho Road Handsworth

Hi I used to live in Brearley St off Booth St in Handsworth were you trying to trace someone there - I was there until my marriage in 1967
  4. S

Upper Thomas Street 1949-50

Hi my husband Barry Reeves thinks he knows your granddad - Barry lived at 3/288 Lichfield Road (by Aston station) he had a brother Stan
  5. S

Hetty Haynes (Haines) Greengrocer Erdington

My husband knew the Haynes' he used to go fishing with her brother Norman - Kenneth lived in the new bungalow they had built on Court Lane
  6. S

Aston Anglers

My husband Barry Reeves lived on Lichfield Road Aston until 1967 and was a member of the BAA - he said the fishing tackle shops were Olly Bayliss and Bert Pittaway - the Vine public house on Lichfield Road the angling club was called the Truthful Arms
  7. S

Where did you live

Lived in Brearley Street Handsworth then got married and bought house in - Heston Avenue Great Barr, Windermere Road Handsworth, Amberley Green Great Barr now Aldridge - Brearley St will always be close to my heart wonderful people
  8. S

Reeves family Birmingham

Hi - I am married to Barry Reeves who's dad was Stanley Robert Reeves from Lichfield Road Aston - Barry born 1938 would he be any connection?
  9. S

Tonights meet about the Gun Manufacturers.

Thanks Wendy great evening please give our best to Ken for sending the pics hope you have another get together at some point - kind regards
  10. S

Soho Road, Handsworth 1956 to 1964 opposite the Libary

Hi thanks for that - My maiden name was Barnett and we lived in the small part of Brearley Street just along from Phipps' the grocery store on the corner (Mrs Phipps only died last year at 90) and I remember Warren the greengrocer. I did know Iris Benbow and her family but the other names I...
  11. S

HANDS in Aston, Handsworth, Ladywood and ???

We had my mom's cousin Thomas Hands of Crocketts Road Handsworth they were there in the 1950's
  12. S

schools

Hi just spotted your message re Wattville Road Handsworth - me & my brothe went to the infant & Juniors 1955 to 1959 Susan & Alan Barnett we lived in Brearley Street - Regards
  13. S

Lost Families

I am an adopted person from the 1940's and have found that everyone errs on the side of the birth mothers feelings - I have no details of my birth father on my birth certificate and must say I cannot come to terms with this - I think to have a child and not name its both parents is a very...
  14. S

Oldbury Carriage Works

Hi - I can't help you with info unfortunately but my dad William Barnett of Handsworth was a foreman frame fitter there until his untimely death at the age of 48 in 1955 - brought a lump to my throat - all the best in finding your info - regards.
  15. S

Handsworth during the 50's and 60's

Hi Laurie - were you Laurence Hornby? I lived in Brearley Street with my brother Alan -(I was Susan Barnett) you may not remember me. We both passed our 11 plus Alan went to Handsworth Grammar then Portsmouth Uni and I went to Lordswood at the Kings Head Harborne, wonderful memories of a...
  16. S

Richard Berry, Coach Spring Maker

There was also Richard Berry Motor Springs Birmingham Road West Bromwich. Although the company is no longer there if you look on the outisde of the building you make out the name where the letters on the brick facade were. It is just before motorway island, my friends dad used to work there.
  17. S

Midwives

Anyone remember the lovely midwife Polly Perkins who lived in Regent Road Handsworth in the 60's? What a great character she delivered our daughter. Is she still with us any details.
  18. S

Aston Hall Road School

Hi - my husband went to this school 1948 - 1953 Barry Reeves of Lichfield Road by Sibleys chip shop near Aston Station
  19. S

Handsworth Junction Road

Hi - I used to walk along Junction Road on my way to Watville Infant & Junion School 1955 - 1959.
  20. S

Lozells

I worked at AR & W Cleaver the builders merchants about 1968 happy memories
Back